• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, Newmarket, April 6/2024. Discussion

Hello Everyone

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
That’s OK. It was a long time ago.

If you are looking for more help with remote controls . . .
Ryan aka @SomeGuy on this website can probably be able to talk some more about RCs.
He is working on a RC mini tank in his garage.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
That’s OK. It was a long time ago.

If you are looking for more help with remote controls . . .
Ryan aka @SomeGuy on this website can probably be able to talk some more about RCs.
He is working on a RC mini tank in his garage.

Yeah, I'm nowhere near building an engine from scratch though. I was building chassis/mounts/shafts/sprocket drive/etc for a little skid steer R/C but I've parked that project, I have a wrap up video I just need to edit on it. Long/short though, I'm not pleased with the design, it's too finicky and fragile. I will likely re-design and try again with what I've learned (and now that I have a mill to make some of the parts I couldn't make the way I wanted to before), the electronics were solid but the sprocket drive was super annoying.

Here's the playlist on everything I've done there though if you want to see it:

LenVW

Premium Member
Just wait Ryan.
Someday you may come up with a better idea for engines !!
New ideas come from a variety of innovators.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just wait Ryan.
Someday you may come up with a better idea for engines !!
New ideas come from a variety of innovators.

I'm not poopooing that thought Len. What you say is true. It just reminds me of an interesting chapter in my life.

I worked for an auto company. For a period of time, one of my responsibilities was to review all outside suggestions - which included inventions.

About once a month we would get a letter from some character who had an idea for an engine that could run on water or lightning or...... They just needed a few million to develop their idea or a few million for the rights to it. :oops:

It was a painful job at times, sometimes downright hilarious, and sometimes we also got fantastic ideas from really creative innovative people.

LenVW

Premium Member
I hear you . . .
I was developing Food Processing Equipment for Kellogg’s in the 1980s, but, my Patents came from Plastics Forming in the 1990s with Big O Machinery.
I thought the cereal industry was clean and innovative, little did I know that corrugated HDPE would send me around the world and into the mainstream of cutting edge manufacturing in North America.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Welcome from Winnipeg!

This definitely is a great place to receive encouragement on tool purchases.
Good luck with your dream of building an engine!

I purchased an electronic version of the book/plans by L K Blackmore for the 1/4 scale Bentley BR2 rotary engine from Camden Miniature Steam Services. It’s very very unlikely I’ll ever build it, however the book is great for showing how to make such a complicated model engine.

@PeterT has a thread on the radial engine he’s building which you may find interesting:
https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/radial-engine-build.68/

LenVW

Premium Member
Thanks @PeterT there is lots of good information in the ‘Machine Modifications’ of the . . . Home Model Engine Machinist Forum.