• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Headstock Alignment Factory Provisions.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for the photos. Answers many questions in my mind. The main one being that the top half is separate from the bottom half. So it is not rotated VS the bottom - or perhaps it would be better to say that it doesn't matter if it is because the top half is directly sitting on the ways.

I still think it's best to just get on with aligning it. As @PeterT implied and as others have already mentioned, not all epoxies are born equal. They sell special epoxies just for this application.

For the record, I don't like that red goo coming out of the one V-Way. If some of that is between the bed and the head, it could explain everything. Ie the machine was setup properly, then sent for painting, then reassembled and shipped. But nobody checked for stuff where it doesn't belong.

I repeat what I said before. You have to take the two halves apart and check them thoroughly for dirt, goop, metal chips, and interference.

I love your stepper idea... LOL!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I guess more data to come, but I'm wondering out loud why the front rectangular slot under HS could not also be similarly backfilled with epoxy same time the altered HS Vee groove has been pasted with something 'thin' like Moglice. The larger rectangular backfill would probably require a more thixotropic, slow cure epoxy blend (upscale version of JB weld). But as-is the clearance slot doesn't appear to be doing much of anything, so grouting it at same time could provide another support register for increased HS rigidity? But OTOH maybe making the joint 'too' permanent has downsides. I've only seen a few videos on Moglice installation, none on removal/rebuilding the alignment. Cant imagine it would be easy to pop off without some planned jacking screws or similar.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I guess more data to come, but I'm wondering out loud why the front rectangular slot under HS could not also be similarly backfilled with epoxy same time the altered HS Vee groove has been pasted with something 'thin' like Moglice. The larger rectangular backfill would probably require a more thixotropic, slow cure epoxy blend (upscale version of JB weld). But as-is the clearance slot doesn't appear to be doing much of anything, so grouting it at same time could provide another support register for increased HS rigidity? But OTOH maybe making the joint 'too' permanent has downsides. I've only seen a few videos on Moglice installation, none on removal/rebuilding the alignment. Cant imagine it would be easy to pop off without some planned jacking screws or similar.

I'll have to re-read the thread. For some reason I had the idea that there was a typical V-way and flat-way Combo on this machine.

If so, there is no reason that I know of why they can't be used with an appropriate epoxy and release agent such that future separation is not an issue.