• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool Hard vise jaws?

Tool

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Saw this in an email from Travers:
Hard vise jaws from 1018 steel? That doesn't make sense to me.
Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 9.09.39 AM.png

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm surprised they would use 1018. Even if case hardened, the core is dead soft, so if you tried to clamp a small part in the vise, and use excess pressure, you might dent the surface. Case hardened parts are great for sliding parts for wear resistance. But a better steel that needs to be cased is 8620, or 9310.

Snap Jaws use 4140 heat treated to 32Rc.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I wrote to Kurt and asked about material used for that specific jaw set.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It's difficult for me to believe they are case hardened to almost 50 thou. But if we take them at their word, go for it!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
According to ChatGPT using traditional methods this would be very hard to do. They need a longer process / use different compounds.

Chipper5783

I have 3 Kurts (and just ordered another on the same sale that DavidR8 referenced), whatever the jaws are made out of, they are pretty hard and tough. The first Kurt I got the jaws were in tough shape, I gave them a little lick on the surface grinder - they are still hard. My vote is that Kurt knows what they are doing.