GS Tooling milling vise reviews?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
One strategy with TS: search the web for the best advertised Kurt price you can find. They will always meet the price - or my case that price + 30$... The markup on a kurt is something like 400$ so they have room to wiggle.

WilliamR

One strategy with TS: search the web for the best advertised Kurt price you can find. They will always meet the price - or my case that price + 30$... The markup on a kurt is something like 400$ so they have room to wiggle.
Thanks, that's good info to know. I told rep I had no account with them, that might have helped a bit. That is a massive mark up. Wow.

Starting to think I should be making a shopping list for Black Friday, or boxing day/week. Never paid attention to see if that stuff goes on sale? Maybe something used will come up, not counting on it though haha. Still going to get T.S. quote on the Autowell.

Also thinking about about vice @jcdammeyer and @LenVW mentioned. May well be perfectly adequate for me. At very least would prevent panic buying overpriced offshore product during overheated post covid market. Would be a huge upgrade for my drill press.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@WilliamR I've mentioned before that this is how I got my kurt. I found a blowout price in the US that had a Vancouver branch. I called them and asked about the ad, and they said they'd give me that price in *Canadian* dollars. I got them to quote. But the shipping from Vancouver was $250. So on a lark I called my local TS, and told them the story. they told me to pick it up the next morning. $700 + GST. My guess is that they made 50$ on the deal, but stole the business from the other guys.

WilliamR

@Dabbler That is very interesting. Same price in Canadian$ wow. Any hints ;)

That is a great policy by TS.

Curious if this group ever organized large volume buys on tooling etc?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Curious if this group ever organized large volume buys on tooling etc?

As I understand it, KMS Tools maintains a member list and will provide a discount. You have to ask for it. I've never used it.

Seems like a strong contingent in Calgary area. Shipping would kill me or I would be trying to get in queue.

As I understand it, the forum was originally started to provide a way for all those Cowboys to help each other overcome their middle of nowhere handicap. They did pretty well I'd say! They do like to complain about how lucky we Ontarians are when it comes to the availability of used machines. Of course, the folks from BC complain about how lucky the Cowboys are. And I would LOVE to have their humidity! The grass is always greener.......

As I understand it, KMS Tools maintains a member list and will provide a discount. You have to ask for it. I've never used it.

Of course, the folks from BC complain about how lucky the Cowboys are. And I would LOVE to have their humidity! The grass is always greener.......
Perhaps a little bit closer to the coast, here it's more sage brush and cactus. I have found that in life, the grass is only greenest over the septic field....

Xyphota

Ultra Member
The KMS in Calgary has all the prices in store listed like this:
Price: $39.99
Member Price: $36.99

When they ring you up they always ask if you are a member, you give them your phone number, then you automatically get the cheaper price. Its just that the member prices are not listed on their website, but usually its like 5-10% discount.

WilliamR

@Susquatch With all that oil field activity I drool over the equipment liquidations. Been to Nisku a few times and never disappointed. (except by taste of water. Yuk haha)

I guess you being close to the centre of the universe has it's perks ;)

Milder winters and 2 miles from border are only benefits I can think of to this particular slice of Bring Cash.

@Xyphota Same policy here. At checkout they ask for phone # and member discount applied. A buddy with commercial account basically gets their flyer sale prices all the time. Rarely any cheaper.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@WilliamR after much thought, I think I should ask: are you interested in the best, multipurpose, fastest, most rigid vise? If you can compromise speed and multipurpose - just a little- I have another suggestion for you to consider. [those in the know will tell you the I love to complicate every decision o_O]

Consider a 5" or 6" screwless vise. Even the very cheap ones will be a lot better than middle-of-the-road milling vises...

This is NOT an endorsement, but an example of one:

They stick out way less on the column side of the table, and are very rigid and repeatable. A Kurt, they are not. But a workable solution on a budget that are a little slower to use, they are.

[update]

Some forums have strongly discouraged the use of screwless vises for milling, You should read them, but one misconception: they can grip just as strong as any milling vise, if used correctly. Thye grip properly if the screw angle is used correctly. Many guys aren't careful.

I use my Autowell and my Kurt for day-to-day. I could have gone screwless, but I like the speed and convenience.

Last edited:

WilliamR

@Dabbler Thanks, fully open to suggestions. Curious how they work, off to check out your link.

Currently leaning to maybe 5" offshore vice and not paying premium price. Will give me better understanding what I need, and can use it on drill press if not happy.

I bet with sinking dollar $1k kurt from TS will soon be a bargain.

Meant to get price on Autowell but exhausted after donating organ this morning. (Wurlitzer haha)

-That is very close to the Taiwanese clone of a Kurt 633 I own. I think mine is about 90% as good as a Kurt at 1/2 the price.

P.S. I also own a Kurt DX6 to compare against.
Which Taiwanese clone do you have? I've never used a Kurt, but judging by their reputation, 90% as good sounds more than good enough for my needs.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Mine is also an Autowell, purchased from Thomas Skinner. I'm just not sure about the model number, but it is probably the exact model. I've had it for about 5 years.

@Janger has the exact same model as I do - we bought them at the same time. He also has a Kurt, so he can give you his opinion of the comparison.

WilliamR

@kevinwantstoshred Wish I had an answer for you. Thought I would wait to see if kurt came on sale this black friday, but didn't happen. My last purchase in $USD had $1.42 exchange rate. Still searching at least once a day just to torment myself... Will be following to see what you get :)