GS Tooling milling vise reviews?

WilliamR

Tormenting myself again on which vise to buy for my mill. Actually found Canadianhobby metal workers site while searching the milling machine vise thread on here. A neighbour has a machine shop and his foreman recommended this GS Tooling vise. Any input appreciated. Sorry, cant post links yet.

Attachments

• GS Tooling  6 x 7.5 Precision Milling Machine Vise - Machine Vises.png
    GS Tooling 6 x 7.5 Precision Milling Machine Vise - Machine Vises.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 43

WilliamR

Would like the Kurt, can't afford the $1200+ usd and $$$ shipping plus sales tax based on usd. Will keep an eye out for Glacern.

This vise is towards upper end of my current budget and on sale for $524 before taxes, stock locally.

I would like to get something and use machine, but don't know what I'm doing and fear getting burned on mega dollar chinese vice that is rebadged lower dollar chinese vice.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Check out Ebay. Search for Kurt Vise, Kurt Vice, Kurt DX6, etc. Sort the listing by newly listed. Refresh often.

I got mine in new condition, for a very reasonable price. They had it listed as a Kurt clamp.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Did you try Thomas Skinner? When I was looking last March I believe the 6" Kurt was in the $800 range.
$524 sounds like a good price for that vice but I haven't seen any reviews.
Kurt scratch/dent has 6" and 4" vises available, both reduced by about $200cdn.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Sowa is importer of Chinese and other Asian tooling. They own few brands such as GS tooling. AFAIK GS tooling is premium China.

As other said, for $700 you can do WAY better. I would add little bit of $$$ and get quality vise. I would consider GS tooling vise to be a good deal for say 350 plus taxes, max 400 (CAD).

Its a "better" Chinese vise and may be OK for most purposes but price here is not exactly "low".

You should be able to get DX6 for around $800 CAD, maybe a bit less if lucky. New, non scratch / dent.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Skinner has Autowell, and I can verify it is very good. As good as a Kurt. I paid 500$ for my 6" Autowell, a few years back.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I bought something like this back when I first got the mill because the 6" that came with it is huge and gets used rarely although handy to have sometimes.
I don't use the swivel part. Took that off and it's still sitting on a bottom shelf somewhere. Partly because my mill table will also swivel if I want.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sowa is importer of Chinese and other Asian tooling. They own few brands such as GS tooling. AFAIK GS tooling is premium China.
From what I've heard, the Sowa name could be put on a tool from almost anywhere. I know that some of their rotating tools come from Taiwan because is said so on my box. The same or comparable vise says made in Italy according to a USA distributer. Some other tools Sowa come from eastern Europe. They are a middle distribution company. Some things are overpriced by a lot (Bison tooling for example).

Beware of Kurt on Ebay, might be real, might not be real. Fake Mitutoyo calipers isn't the only magician trick.

Kurt style is well respected. It comes on sale often through dealers. You also gave access to lots of options when it comes to replacement jaws, different jaw styles, stops, accessories. If you have an oops on a less well known vise, sourcing replacements can be more challenging & more $$. If you are challenged with vertical real estate (from table to spindle) there are other vises I would suggest have a look at. Same or more jaw opening but gives 2" or more of workable depth. Do a search on the forum, lots has been written.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-08-29 6.32.24 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-08-29 6.32.24 PM.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 5

WilliamR

Check out Ebay. Search for Kurt Vise, Kurt Vice, Kurt DX6, etc. Sort the listing by newly listed. Refresh often.

I got mine in new condition, for a very reasonable price. They had it listed as a Kurt clamp.
Thanks will keep do that. I did see a couple used out of the US for around $800 plus $250 shipping even before getting to border and they were missing pieces. Also multiple drill holes. The one you picked up sounds ideal.

WilliamR

Did you try Thomas Skinner? When I was looking last March I believe the 6" Kurt was in the $800 range.
$524 sounds like a good price for that vice but I haven't seen any reviews.
Kurt scratch/dent has 6" and 4" vises available, both reduced by about $200cdn.
I hadn't tried Thomas Skinner. I could live with that price range for that vise. Will have a look. Thanks.

Consider some of Accusize's 6" offerings, I have one and am pleased with its function and accuracy for the price. I've created about 50lbs of Aluminium shaving on it.

Currently I'm using two 4" version from BB (production set up and better functionality on the CNC), also very functional and accurate. Already created 60lbs on these 2 vises in less than 4 months. By mod Sept expect to create about 20lbs more. They get worked, tested and abused.

WilliamR

As other said, for $700 you can do WAY better. I would add little bit of $$$ and get quality vise. I would consider GS tooling vise to be a good deal for say 350 plus taxes, max 400 (CAD).

Its a "better" Chinese vise and may be OK for most purposes but price here is not exactly "low".

You should be able to get DX6 for around $800 CAD, maybe a bit less if lucky. New, non scratch / dent.
Thanks. I hadn't come across GS in my searches, and was concerned about overpaying. Good to see a ballpark figure for them thrown out there. I saw the big number on Kurt web site in US dollars plus shipping and had kind of given up on getting one.

WilliamR

From what I've heard, the Sowa name could be put on a tool from almost anywhere. I know that some of their rotating tools come from Taiwan because is said so on my box. The same or comparable vise says made in Italy according to a USA distributer. Some other tools Sowa come from eastern Europe. They are a middle distribution company. Some things are overpriced by a lot (Bison tooling for example).

Beware of Kurt on Ebay, might be real, might not be real. Fake Mitutoyo calipers isn't the only magician trick.

Kurt style is well respected. It comes on sale often through dealers. You also gave access to lots of options when it comes to replacement jaws, different jaw styles, stops, accessories. If you have an oops on a less well known vise, sourcing replacements can be more challenging & more $$. If you are challenged with vertical real estate (from table to spindle) there are other vises I would suggest have a look at. Same or more jaw opening but gives 2" or more of workable depth. Do a search on the forum, lots has been written.
Ah I see. I had heard of the Sowa brand, but companies get bought and sold, make econo batch orders etc. Was wondering which scenario this was. (I assumed Chinese but hadn't asked)

I should have thought about counterfeit but hadn't. I see it in auto parts all the time as well.

Leaning towards Kurt if possible, for reasons you mentioned above, plus tighter tolerances on my projects, resale etc. Their website price had scared me off. The mill is zay 45 clone, seemed to have a fair bit of clearance compared to a friend's older Busy Bee but all relative I guess.

I had searched archives, didn't seen anything about the GS Tooling. The neighbor who told me about it was going to be asking if I had bought one yet. Have learned a lot from this thread. Thanks for reply and info.

WilliamR

Consider some of Accusize's 6" offerings, I have one and am pleased with its function and accuracy for the price. I've created about 50lbs of Aluminium shaving on it.

Currently I'm using two 4" version from BB (production set up and better functionality on the CNC), also very functional and accurate. Already created 60lbs on these 2 vises in less than 4 months. By mod Sept expect to create about 20lbs more. They get worked, tested and abused.
Thanks, Accusize was actually my first choice. Decent enty point, free shipping and fast delivery were major selling points. Thought they were manufactured by upstart Canadian company then found out imported, that kind of cooled the jets. Read the reviews and came away with mixed feelings. Good to hear first hand you are satisfied, also hearing good things about their customer service. It certainly could be ideal for me. Oh man more sleepless nights haha.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I just bought a Kurt DX6 from thomas skinner this past week. They price matched it down to $950 CAD delivered and said it was the best they could do. I thought the price was fair considering a scratch and dent model would be about the same price with shipping and possible duties

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I bought something like this back when I first got the mill because the 6" that came with it is huge and gets used rarely although handy to have sometimes.
I don't use the swivel part. Took that off and it's still sitting on a bottom shelf somewhere. Partly because my mill table will also swivel if I want.
Purchased the same VEVOR style swivel vise (Mine is the 3” size - $95) very good Chinese product. Hardened Jaws are removable and about 75 RC. Solid castings and lubrication ports on the jaw screw anchor.
I had limited tooling last year and milled a 120 degree Arc groove in 1/4” mild steel using the swivel vise to pivot the workpiece. The swivel radius matched the requirements very closely.

WilliamR

I just bought a Kurt DX6 from thomas skinner this past week. They price matched it down to $950 CAD delivered and said it was the best they could do. I thought the price was fair considering a scratch and dent model would be about the same price with shipping and possible duties
Thanks, I called T.S. Richmond BC and was quoted $1000 over the phone. Said no future sales on it. I think they had 41 units in stock? Was in shock and forgot to ask about Autowell, will call next week. KBC briefly showed $810, then page refreshed to $1150. T.S. definitely a lot better price than KBC.

Just checked current scratch and dent $623.20, free shipping, plus ~$40 Washington sales tax, ~$15 handling fee. No duty. Credit card adds their gouge to exchange rate and pretty much exact price you got it for. That's an investment, guaranteed price is going up.