• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Grind lathe bed in ontario

Rauce

Ultra Member
Well I’m now in the situation of looking for a place that can grind the bed of the Hendey so I though I’d revive this thread.

Hamilton Grinding has the capacity for a bed the size of mine but don’t typically grind angled surfaces and so complicated set ups or custom dressed wheels would be cost prohibitive.

They suggested another grinding shop in the Hamilton area that does industrial knives. They turned out not to have the capacity lengthwise.

DiPaulo in Mississauga has a dedicated way grinder and has gotten back to me with a quote that is on the high end of what I was expecting (2500).

No luck getting in touch with Preston rebuilt machinery yet.

Had a thought to look for rebuilders in the Detroit area and sent an email today.

Well I’m now in the situation of looking for a place that can grind the bed of the Hendey so I though I’d revive this thread.

Hamilton Grinding has the capacity for a bed the size of mine but don’t typically grind angled surfaces and so complicated set ups or custom dressed wheels would be cost prohibitive.

They suggested another grinding shop in the Hamilton area that does industrial knives. They turned out not to have the capacity lengthwise.

DiPaulo in Mississauga has a dedicated way grinder and has gotten back to me with a quote that is on the high end of what I was expecting (2500).

No luck getting in touch with Preston rebuilt machinery yet.

Had a thought to look for rebuilders in the Detroit area and sent an email today.
Why don't contact Ford Machinery and ask them who they use or recommend or the new/use machinery dealer on Matheson just of Dixie to see who they recommend.

Rauce

Ultra Member
I’m resurrecting this thread with an update on my lathe bed grinding saga.

The place in Mississauga that I thought was going to do it has had it for 10 months now and it still isn’t done. I have no doubt they could do a fantastic job but they have a huge grinding machine and do very big $ rebuilds so my job just wasn’t a priority I guess.

I went looking for places south of the border within reasonable driving distance of Hamilton. There are a few, two in the Detroit area, one in upstate NY near Ithaca and one just outside Cleveland. I have contacted all of them. Until I found out about the place near Cleveland I hadn’t gotten any responses.

Well, PB Grinding in Ohio got back to me the same day I emailed/left a voicemail. $800 to grind the bed and they can schedule it in so I can drive down and have it done the same day. Even with gas and a day off work that’s less than what I was quoted by the place in Mississauga that never even got it done. They are a smaller operation but have been doing lathe beds and other large grinding jobs for decades.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I’m resurrecting this thread with an update on my lathe bed grinding saga.

The place in Mississauga that I thought was going to do it has had it for 10 months now and it still isn’t done. I have no doubt they could do a fantastic job but they have a huge grinding machine and do very big $ rebuilds so my job just wasn’t a priority I guess.

I went looking for places south of the border within reasonable driving distance of Hamilton. There are a few, two in the Detroit area, one in upstate NY near Ithaca and one just outside Cleveland. I have contacted all of them. Until I found out about the place near Cleveland I hadn’t gotten any responses.

Well, PB Grinding in Ohio got back to me the same day I emailed/left a voicemail. $800 to grind the bed and they can schedule it in so I can drive down and have it done the same day. Even with gas and a day off work that’s less than what I was quoted by the place in Mississauga that never even got it done. They are a smaller operation but have been doing lathe beds and other large grinding jobs for decades.

I'm glad to see some action in this regard.

I passed up on a ton of otherwise good lathe rebuilds for lack of a reliable source for regrinds. Please take some pics and videos of the place when you visit. One thing I've noticed is that small US shops seem more willing to go out of their way to service small customers. I can only surmise that this is due to a greater number of small shops with wider range of skills and machinery surviving than in Canada. It seems to me that we have a shortage of shops in any field so they tend to cherry pick and only serve the most lucrative clients...

I need to check out the shop I'd seen in Windsor, get a quote on the chipmaster grind just to assess the viability of that option. It's about 100 km closer to Toronto than Cleveland.

I'm glad to see some action in this regard.

I passed up on a ton of otherwise good lathe rebuilds for lack of a reliable source for regrinds. Please take some pics and videos of the place when you visit. One thing I've noticed is that small US shops seem more willing to go out of their way to service small customers. I can only surmise that this is due to a greater number of small shops with wider range of skills and machinery surviving than in Canada. It seems to me that we have a shortage of shops in any field so they tend to cherry pick and only serve the most lucrative clients...

I need to check out the shop I'd seen in Windsor, get a quote on the chipmaster grind just to assess the viability of that option. It's about 100 km closer to Toronto than Cleveland.
US business are willing to make a penny on a customer and make their money by doing lots of business, Canadian business wants their pound of flesh each and every sale.

Most of my suppliers are US based for that simple reason alone.

Rauce

Ultra Member
If you end up going to Ohio, I suggest you stop in to this place:

https://hgrinc.com/

I might go check it out with a buddy this summer to grab some machining accessories

I’m familiar with them and was thinking about it, depends on whether my wife tags along or not haha.

wow, 800 is a very nice price! That is CHEAP.

To be clear that’s $800 USD so about $1100 CAD.

Rauce

Ultra Member

I never found anything in Windsor in my searches but there’s two in the Detroit area. Neither responded to my attempts to contact them.

My conclusion from all my efforts is that you really need to find a place that’s familiar with this particular job and has the right kind of machine. It can be done on a conventional horizontal spindle grinder that has the capacity but it’s not as easy and a shop with that kind of machine is unlikely to attempt it.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I never found anything in Windsor in my searches but there’s two in the Detroit area. Neither responded to my attempts to contact them.

My conclusion from all my efforts is that you really need to find a place that’s familiar with this particular job and has the right kind of machine. It can be done on a conventional horizontal spindle grinder that has the capacity but it’s not as easy and a shop with that kind of machine is unlikely to attempt it.
sorry I meant Detroit.

the two cities are virtually synonymous to me

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@Rauce I'd recommend you inquire what is required documentation wise to satisfy customs in & out of Kanuckistan. It wouldn't be the first gong-show incident I've heard about if you just so happen to get the wrong individual on a bad day.

Rauce

Ultra Member
@Rauce I'd recommend you inquire what is required documentation wise to satisfy customs in & out of Kanuckistan. It wouldn't be the first gong-show incident I've heard about if you just so happen to get the wrong individual on a bad day.
I just took a look at the how it works with “repair work”. No duty but HST on the value of the work performed. An invoice from the shop should be sufficient I think but I will look into it further.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member

I routinely traveled with 1000s of dollars worth of camera equipment across the border. When you are leaving Canada just pop into the office and register what you are taking out of the country and bringing back into Canada. Usually the government wants to see a serial number, so if a lathe bed is missing one, stamp a number on it somewhere.

Then when you return you can say this is the same part I took to the USA.

The only tricky issue is if someone declares that the part was worked on out of country... and what work was done and the value of that which the gov will want gst on....

now suppose you got the part sand blasted or chemical dipped at a much lower value than say, having the bed ground....

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I just took a look at the how it works with “repair work”. No duty but HST on the value of the work performed. An invoice from the shop should be sufficient I think but I will look into it further.
you beat me by a second

do be sure to register the part prior to leaving canada

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

A long time ago, you used to be able to get an export certificate to prove you had it in Canada before going over for repairs. I don't know if they still have that or not, but certainly it would be good to have if it still exists.

Edit - you both beat me to it! LOL!

Just go into Canada Customs before you leave and have it identified (serial number and description) once done good for multiple passes.

Rauce

Ultra Member
Well I’m here now in Ohio. Left bright and early this morning at 2am. They should have it done by noon. I’m going to take a little nap now and get a few pictures while it’s still on the machine in a couple hours.

Equipment wise it’s going on a big conventional type (horizontal spindle) surface grinder. They’ve got wheels of all sorts of shapes and angles they use to do machine rebuilding jobs. Lathe beds, Bridgeport knees etc.

The owner told me they used to do a lot of work for professional rebuilders but it’s dried up in recent years. Now it’s mostly hobby guys when they do machine tools. Their machine tool regrinding expert is retired but he comes in to look over the young guys work when they do these jobs.