• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Granite base CNC router project

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
So it is finally time to make a cnc router. I can't handle seeing other people talk about what they're doing with theirs and the huge prices I get quoted for simple cnc jobs.

My brother heard and said he wants to contribute to the build which means I can splurge a little bit more than planned. So I just spent days absorbing masses of information on printNC discord, and various other sites and I think I have a firm grasp of what to do on the mechanical side of things.

I've long been a fan of youtubers Dan Gelbart and Piotr Fox Wysocki and had wanted to make a granite based machine for a while so I thought why not use it for cnc, that way I can hopefully get improved surface finishes on metal.

I scored a 24" x 36" surface plate for the main base, and I've designed armature and mould to cast epoxy granite Y axis rails to provide an overall footprint of 41" x 36"

This will allow me to use the standard PrintNC parts kit and yield a print envelope of a minimum of 25" x 24" for metal.

I will likely go with a gantry that is substantially different from that of the PrintNC though

1726799359582.png

I'm interested to see how this develops.
Do you have a control system in mind?

Not yet... I really love the look of the Masso G3 Touch but may need a more affordable option since I want to find a way to squeeze in a RapidChange ATC too.

What I'll likely do is go with the exact same control that Logan uses since he has the best documentation and answers people's questions readily.

Back