Good Day From Chestermere

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Bofobo, no, we do not have any way of controlling/restricting the amount of air going in.

Like a lot of things I do, we may have over-engineered/over-complicated this thing! Looking around, it seems folks are very successful using just the bare basics. Look at how you did yours - briliant!

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
As efficient as my design may be, I envy the possibilities of expansion you have. Burner jelly four sure

Dogpounder

Here are some photos and pdf of the plan I used for my burner. The drawing is done by an Engineer friend and machinist. He is my awesome detail guy that puts my ideas on paper before building it all from scratch !
You can see that the tip of the gas nozzle is just below the top air hole between the bottom air holes. Further down and it surges as it does above the holes. It changes the flame at the nozzle by just moving the gas jet a few mm in either direction. I get around 1500 deg F out of this burner, it is a small forge with large doors as you can see. I can block one end with fire brick and it will run without surging. If I try and close up the front as well it will blow back and surge.

Attachments

• IMG_2791.JPG
    IMG_2791.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2792.JPG
    IMG_2792.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2793.JPG
    IMG_2793.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • BURNER.pdf
    278.2 KB · Views: 6

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Dogpounder, thanks for the great pictures / burner plans!

As we have suspected in our case, the amount of air available and the position of the gas nozzle in the venturi are very critical elements in maximising heat output and overall performance. We will for sure have to revisit our design and correct our deficiencies...