Gloves

mbond

Premium Member
Thanks for all the input.

So considered wisdom is nothing at all, or make sure it is skin tight and can't snag and become entangled. Lots of other considerations when handling hazardous chemicals, glue, etc.

thanks

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for all the input.

So considered wisdom is nothing at all, or make sure it is skin tight and can't snag and become entangled. Lots of other considerations when handling hazardous chemicals, glue, etc.

thanks

For what it's worth, I didn't read any collective wisdom that ok'd skin tight. A few said that's what they did. But the collective wisdom was nothing at all near spinning machinery. Even skin tight can snag and pull your hand/arm apart.

Real skin cuts, tears, bleeds, and heals but doesn't snag and turn into rope like gloves do. With bare skin you bleed, but you live.

My sense was that those few who do use gloves use them skin tight and accept the higher risk. I did not sense that those who do so actually advocate that approach.

Knowing a few guys who lost fingers, hands, or arms wearing gloves tends to slant your view on such things.

But we all take calculated risks and those with sensitive skin are willing to take risks most wouldn't take.

At least, that's what I read.

I know a couple people who have had fingers severed due to wedding bands getting caught in the grab handles of big trucks. (both divorced shortly after, and kept driving.....:rolleyes:) I had my watch get caught once and hung me from the wrist briefly, before the pins finally let loose, ( can barely keep the damn things in when you want them there, but those ones put up a heroic effort to stay together) I haven't worn a watch since. Wrist was a little bit cut up and bruised, but fortunately nothing serious......... Nope nothing on my hands period around the spinny bits.

mbond

Premium Member
Susquatch

I used to be like you - I would never use anything anytime for anything. But a few years ago I had a brush with cancer, and my skin is not what it once was. I need to use some kind of protection, and I now have some considered opinions about what kind is appropriate

And I thank you all for the input

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Susquatch

I used to be like you - I would never use anything anytime for anything. But a few years ago I had a brush with cancer, and my skin is not what it once was. I need to use some kind of protection, and I now have some considered opinions about what kind is appropriate

And I thank you all for the input

No problem. We all take calculated risks according to our own risk exposure and risk tolerance. I just didn't agree with how you summarized it and felt obligated to say so given that we are talking safety.

I take calculated risks too. Just not that particular one.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I know a couple people who have had fingers severed due to wedding bands getting caught in the grab handles of big trucks. (both divorced shortly after, and kept driving.....:rolleyes:) I had my watch get caught once and hung me from the wrist briefly, before the pins finally let loose, ( can barely keep the damn things in when you want them there, but those ones put up a heroic effort to stay together) I haven't worn a watch since. Wrist was a little bit cut up and bruised, but fortunately nothing serious......... Nope nothing on my hands period around the spinny bits.
My experience with a watch with the expansion bracelet was reaching under the dash when a few links turned red burning the skin.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I wear lots of different kinds of gloves, heavy leather ones for fencing but usually mechanic gloves. Nothing around the lathe or mill. other spinning farm stuff keep your damn fingers away. I'm thin skinned also known as a bleeder, small nicks produce copious amounts of blood, deep serious cuts not so much. One place i would love to wear gloves is fixing water bowl issues when it's 35 below with a north west gale force breeze coming across the frozen cow turds but alas it don't work well.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
is fixing water bowl issues when it's 35 below with a north west gale force breeze coming across the frozen cow turds but alas it don't work well.
That's got to be one of the worst jobs ever. I've only had to help out on that job over the years but each time I do, it reminds me I wasn't cut out to be a cattle farmer.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
other spinning farm stuff keep your damn fingers away.

I was gunna mention farm stuff but figured it was a whole different dimension...... But now that you have opened the barn door.....

Talk about managing risks!

Mixing and then spraying pesticides all day long on an open tractor......

I've never heard a discussion about wearing boots around augers, but it's something every farmer is keenly aware of. Augers are a whole nuther level of dangerous! So are PTO shafts, combine reels, chain drives, and huge tractors. Heck, you take big risks just changing a huge heavy tire!

Funny story - I even got the end of my left pointer blown off by "something" that got shot across the shop pinched between a hydraulic jack and a farm impliment! Don't even know what it was. But glad it went through my finger instead of my chest or my head. At emergency, the doctor told me half the bone was gone so it couldn't be fixed and she had to pull the nail to get enough skin to stitch the wound closed. I didn't agree and we argued, but she is the doc, so I let her do it. Instantly regretted that cuz she couldn't get it off - to add insult to injury I had to pull it off myself! After a half hour of trying she couldn't close it. So she went and got another senior doctor. He took one look and said "why did you take the nail off? You can't fix that. Just wrap it up and it will eventually skin over on its own. If not, it will have to amputated." She avoided looking at me after that.....

Another story - I also know a guy who got his pants caught in a post hole auger putting in fence posts and had his leg ripped off at the hip joint. His 8 year old son stopped the blood flow with his belt, loaded him in the pickup box with the tractor bucket, and drove him to the hospital. The guy lived to tell about it.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
ut I do wear my wedding ring,
46 years ago when the wife & I were engaged, one day she anounced we were "going to the city to look at ring"s"....I corrected her saying "ring" as we wouldnt be getting one for me...I had already worked with a couple or 3 men who had empty floppy fingers in the gloves they wore at work.
One of those men was an employee of my old man, he jumped off a scraper and hooked his ring on a grease nipple....he sat at our kitchen table while dads unrolled all the skin & meat from that finger that had rolled up tight around that ring so we could cut the ring off.
I have never wore a ring and I never wear gloves around rotational equipment or machines.

I don't wear glove around a live machine but barrier cream (pb 88) and nitrile gloves when handling metal and rust keep me from having a rash up to my elbows. If I don't use the barrier cream/gloves I have a nasty bleeding rash within 4 or 5 days. Excema is no fun and oxides and solvents are not good for my soul.

Six O Two

(Marco)
Yeah, it's weird - We all have our own calculations around risk tolerance. I mentioned upthread that I do occasionally wear gloves around machines, but I always remove my wedding ring before going in the shop. Either gloves or a ring can give you a nasty degloving injury, but I guess in my mind wearing a ring in the shop has no benefit so its an easy decision to take it off, whereas the gloves provide protection and heat, so there's a calculation there.

Soft tight Leather (gloves) is a funny thing, it cuts and tears like like skin, just not as easily. Best of both worlds additional protection without a significant increase in risk. The point is without you'd be serious injury, with a serious injury just without a buffer giving you a chance to avoid it.

Cloth or nitrile coated gloves, way more snag strength not good. Surgical gloves generally tear easier can give more grip and cause the same issues.

So gloves it is truly application specific, leather being my first choice (if I need too), the rest selectively depending on application.

Last edited:

Bandit

Super User
Many years ago we used laquor thinner for cleaning parts, then read the msds that started to become available. We had been using bare hands when cleaning parts before assembly, bad news. High cuff gloves, median heavy gloves, from then on, extra venting. This was with other changes from getting msds on the various products we were using, some we stopped using as could not easily change equipment or work procedures to ensure safety. Barrier cream became a good first step with gloves in some cases. I just used Barrier cream when honing/resizing rods, or boring/honing cylinders, didn't want to "get wrapped up in my work".
Generally can't stand nitrile/rubber gloves as sweat so much any more then 15 or so minutes, end up with sweat running over every thing and my hands being clamy, so a few of them when needed, then off. The thin ones generally not reusable as rip when removing, 8 mils reusable a number of times.
Of course general use of gloves handling metal or wood etc. slivers, sharp edges, as I don't heal as fast as when 20, and maybe a bit smarter.
As my father replied when asked, How did you get so old? By, being a bit lucky when I was young, and staying alive, was his answer.