Gloves

mbond

Premium Member
Who has thoughts on using gloves versus not using gloves; and what kinds might be better?

I don't really want to get metal slivers in my hands, but I don't want to cause an accident either

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
no gloves around mills or lathes. The consequences of getting a glove pulled into a spinning chuck or cutter is much worse than a few cuts or slivers. To be blunt, your skin will tear easier than a glove, so a bare hand only gets cut when a gloved hand gets mangled.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Go ahead wear gloves while cleaning or handling materials and tools if you like but don't power up lathe or mill while wearing them.

Last edited:

Proxule

Ultra Member
I have never worn gloves, but I do wear my wedding ring, so my advise/comment could be useless?
Some folks are sensitive to solvents and or oils and related - so gloves might be a good idea!

Gluck on your decision, what ever it is!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I don't wear gloves when machining, but have taken a liking to wearing mechanix gloves for fab work and general shop stuff. Cutting, grinding etc. I'd like to try and find some better quality ones, as I find they just don't last long anymore, and the price keeps going up and up.... I recently bought a set of leather ones from Canadian welding supply, and am waiting for those to get in the rotation to try out. https://canadaweldingsupply.ca/prod...e-with-reinforced-palm?variant=41534251958445 They fit tight, and wear like mechanix gloves, but should hold up a bit better. I tend to wear through the fingers of the mechanix ones after a month or so. Normal leather work gloves fit too sloppy for me.

Sharp, Cutting, spinning tools that make chips are a no gloves operation. I make a judgement call when using abrasives.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I don’t wear gloves except when using solvents and such I had a rag wrapped around my hand once washing the blankets on a Fairchild printing press in the 70’s, the rag was grabbed but I pulled free loosing just a couple finger nails the boss asked me how I feel and I told him I was happy which got me a strange look not telling him the reason was the blanket rollers have a 1/8 gap between them and I knew I wouldn’t fit. In 2019 I went on long term due to a motorcycle accident and at that time we had a 9 and 3/4 club consisting of about 6 guys.

I don't wear them in the shop around the machine tools, but when cutting and grinding etc I have been using Watson 005 flexline gloves. I am kind of brutal on boots and gloves, and these last about the same as any other, but I like the fit and dexterity better than any other I have tried to date. If I am doing dirty oily work I have recently started using pr 88 creme, a kind of invisible glove, and that really helps the clean up. A little bit of soap and water, or even just water and it rinses away....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If I am doing dirty oily work I have recently started using pr 88 creme, a kind of invisible glove, and that really helps the clean up. A little bit of soap and water, or even just water and it rinses away....

This is a cool solution. If it works for me.

I generally hate gloves. Its a rare day when I wear gloves, hats, or coats even in Winter at -40.

Usually, I just get greasy hands. I've found all those fancy shop soaps (pumice, orange, etc) don't work nearly as well as Yellow Sunlight Dish Soap. I've also compared it to Dawn Dish soap. Sunlight is clearly better. YMMV.

So tell us more about this pr 88 cream. Does it form a solvent barrier?

I have to confess that I haven't personally used it with solvents yet, but the claims made suggest that it does. It really shines after a hot sweaty date with the grease gun and diesel oil changes....... As long as what I am working with isn't water based, it seems to hold up very well.......

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member

I have to confess that I haven't personally used it with solvents yet, but the claims made suggest that it does. It really shines after a hot sweaty date with the grease gun and diesel oil changes....... As long as what I am working with isn't water based, it seems to hold up very well.......
Where to buy it?

Just looked on Amazon, they have it, but, oh boy! I didn't pay that much for mine...... I think I paid around $40 for the 1 liter tub, and you don't use very much at a time....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Huh.... I guess I gotta spend some more money. Sounds promising. Here it is on Amazon.

PR88 Barrier Cream 100ml

Way better deal on 1L
PR88 Barrier Cream https://a.co/d/3wAuFTA

Now I wonder if there is something else that works with water based stuff like water based paint or agricultural chemicals & pesticides.

Gloves, I prefer leather, doesn't snag easily, decent protection. If I'm going to wear something around machinery its leather, tight fitting and thin.

Everything else is just to risky.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
no gloves around mills or lathes.

don't forget about the drill press....no gloves around rotating spindles

I don't really want to get metal slivers in my hands

I find slivers are more an issue handling than machining, and you just endure. Blowing parts off after machining helps. Get a loupe (with head wire or band), exacto knive and dumont tweezers. The ultimate sliver remover is a stereo zoom microscope....probably the most frequent use mine sees.

Last edited:

Six O Two

(Marco)
Seems like I might be an outlier here, but I wear nitrile gloves in the shop pretty much all the time. I spent many years elbows deep in oil, grease and solvent and now I'd rather keep my hands clean. Also, I seem to be a sliver magnet and the nitrile gloves cut that down 95%.

When doing fab work, I'll usually also wear thin leather work gloves. My shop is unheated and in the winter my hands are pretty much useless without some sort of covering.

Yes, I wear gloves around the mill, lathe and drill press, table saw, etc. I figure the nitrile ones will rip if snagged. If it's cold and I am wearing work gloves around machines, I accept that I'm taking a risk and going against proven wisdom, and I try to be careful. YMMV.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
IMG_6649.png I will admit to wearing gloves, just not around spinning stuff. But I’m really cheap. So for gluing or painting, I use the horrible baggy thin gloves they use at Subway. Not good around solvents.

Last edited: