GCode alternatives

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
@jcdammeyer , here is a copy of the GCode Generated by Centriod's Intercon conversational language to compare.
Interesting. When I tried the C code Jon Elson provided for using IJ parameters instead of R parameters LinuxCNC complained that the ending point was different from the starting point. My Lazarus version of his program wasn't any better. Never did figure out why.

I'll try running yours later today and see what happens. If it works maybe it will provide the clue as to why mine won't work. I haven't checked what MACH generates. My AlibreCAM creates short line segments; neither R or IJ path motion which is really bad IMHO.

Before you run it, my Z=0 is the top surface of the part. X=left side, Y=back.

My set up cutter compensates so.... it may end up a little different in the run on your machine.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I only had to make a few changes. LinuxCNC doesn't like M25 or an H1 by itself.

These are machine specific like the tool number and sizes. I also commented out the spindle ON and speed since I was just doing a dry run in air.

The screen shot is from a Raspberry Pi4 running LinuxCNC with the GMOCCAPY 10.1" touch screen. I also ran it on my PC based LinuxCNC with the standard AXIS interface.

Oh and the other complaint from LCNC was no ending statement at the end of the g-code file. These are all simple things.

When I use AlibreCAM (MecSoft CAM) I have a full page of set up capabilities for each operation so I can add what is done when a tool change is requested. One sets that up for the target machine and then never thinks about it again.

Attachments

• LCNC-gmoccapy-Hole.jpg
    LCNC-gmoccapy-Hole.jpg
    768.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 35bore-lcnc.txt
    8.4 KB · Views: 1
Glad it worked for you, you can download the demo version on the software and it allows Intercon to run and produce limited size programs, I purchased the dongle as it allows me future expansion and lets me work off line.

As to Gcode, well its generic sort of. Most manufacturer allow have specialized tweaks in their coding just enough to make things a pain in the a$$.

Good thing is that Centriod is among the manufacturers that can be tweaked for in third party software.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
With these long boring cycles on my machine I find I can’t get all the chips out of the hole and it starts recutting them. Horrible chewing noise. So if it isn’t a blind hole I often drill a big -say 3/4” or 1” hole - right through so the chips can be flushed out the bottom. The Haas only has 3 coolant nozzles and they are all on the right making it tricky to aim them for chip evacuation all the way around the hole. I’ve converted one nozzle to loc-line for more flexibility. What do other people do?

High volume flush with 3 nozzles is what I have. Even in narrow deep cuts I have enough fluid to keep the chips floating around the cutter which prevents recutting.

Additionally for something like this I would run 20ipm and 10ipm plunge 0.05 depth of cut and upto 50% step over with a 4 flute cutter (reduce per tooth load).

All this is based on three considerations, HP, spindle speed, and machine stiffness.

lucsimoneau

Fusion also outputs a bunch of G01 linear moves when cutting arcs. In the adaptive tool path operations the moves are quite big and quite noticeable on the part. You have to go over the part again with another operation to get rid of the stair steps. Why do CAM programs do this instead of G02 G03 ???
I know it's been a while but you need to take a look at the Smoothing option in Fusion 360.