• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Gauging interest - M10x20mm set screws for lathe QCTP holders (BXA)

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good lord I think I'm loosing it. Don

I thought something looked a bit odd. 8mm is 6.4 hills or valleys of your 1.25mm pitch gage but sometimes pics tend to distort a bit. All good. Better than buying a Box-O-100 & the proverbial DOH! when they arrive.

Attachments

• 2018-01-28_16-11-19.jpg
    2018-01-28_16-11-19.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 4

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Confirmed mine are M8x1.25.....well... 'most' of them are :/

What is the purpose of the dog point anyway? I see some of mine have regular set screws, must have replaced those myself. I cant think of a good reason why a reduced shank is necessary in this application. It snot like it engages a slot or anything.

I also discovered why cap screws cant be used on my older tool holders. The heads interfere with the adjuster wheel on adjacent holes. The older 200 series holders had a different bolt spacing. Actually its semi reachable if the head is down low or ball driver but PITA. I'll have to check if the newer ones are this way.

Jimbojones

Dog point isn't about reduced diameter...its about having a flat spot so it marrs the surface of the tool less (instead of the ring cut in to the finish that a standard set screw usually leaves). Makes the removal/re-insertion of the tool later...easier.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
My cap screws interfere with the knurled thumbnut by .5mm The answer? turn it down .7mm and reknurl.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Here’s a picture of my square head set screws. They have to be fairly long to not interfere with the height adjustment.

Attachments

• 09A121C6-35C9-4C6A-8906-C06FE974DB85.jpeg
    09A121C6-35C9-4C6A-8906-C06FE974DB85.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 11