• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Gauging interest - M10x20mm set screws for lathe QCTP holders (BXA)

Jimbojones

I'm bringing in some black oxide M10x20x1.5 set screws (with dog point/flat end) to replace the ones in some of my lathe QCTP BXA holders. Reasons I'm doing this is:

- minority of set screws are 3/16" hex drive whereas the majority of mine are M5 hex and I dont like double-tooling (Shars - they are IMP tool and MET thread)
- some are badly formed and M5 only fits 1/2 to bottom (Phase II)
- some are softer material
- some are 8mm O.D. and 4mm drive; have re-bored/threaded to fit 5mm drive (Accusize are like this)
- want some replacements on the shelf

Not sure if other holders (AXA and CXA) would use these same set screws but they seem to be fairly consistent across the BXA-asian lines. Of course, they could be used for non-lathe applications, too

Not looking for a commitment but considering I can get a box for a price close to open stock handful, I thought that if others felt it was useful that I'd bring in a full box and anyone in Calgary area interested could ping me when they want some and the price would be notably cheaper than singles price (e.g. 1/2)

Just let me know if you'd ever want a stash to pull from.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice gesture. Yes, there are some bizarre so-called 'standards' out there for sure. My older generation import tool holders are IMP set screws because I think in that era they were attempting to be drop in compatible replacements to the big $ N-Am names like Dorian & Armstrong. They were crudely tapped holes & horrible set screws.

My more recent KBC (Chinese) ones seem to be universally metric now. The set screws weren't as bad, it just needed tap cleanout because of blackening or preservative mung. I've seen some M8 & also some M10 on similar sized holders between clone distributers, so that can vary. Shars (Chinese) shows M10x19 (which isn't really a common length) & 3/16" hex key! (on a metric fastener?). Either a typo or something strange there.
http://www.shars.com/quick-change-tool-post-set-wedge-type-222-bxa

So just saying, check what you have beforehand. I tried drilling one out & re-tapping to a standard once. It went so-so. I think the blocks are partially hardened or maybe the one I have. But I've seen other people tap them no problem.

BTW, KBC sells most all their fasteners in small lot pckg 25 for a minor fee, so you don't need to commit to 100 box. They also offer USA Holo-Krome fasteners which are beauties, but maybe IMP only. For metric I'm using their house brand which are not quite as nice as HK, maybe 80%, but get the job done.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I bought 100 set screws for my AXA holders in Grd 7 because the import ones were made of cheese substitute. They only cost me about 5$ and work far better than stock. Got mine from Bolt Supply, sourced from Spanaur, made in US... -- I've given some away to Janger because he was having problems with his set screws... If someone happens to be in my shop they can have some as well!

PeterT, 3/16 isn't even close to a metric size! wow! makes you wonder why they did that...

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Actually Jim if you haven't ordered yet I'd like to get a box too M10x20x1.5 set screws - is that qty 100 ? Can I join you? $??

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I gave up on the hex socket screws and converted to square head screws. They stick up quite a bit in order to clear the height adjustment screw, but I doubt I will ever strip the heads.

Jimbojones

M10x20 dog point set screws are in; fwiw - nicer/more consistent finish that the OEM ones I had

PM if you're in need of some.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm bringing in some black oxide M10x20x1.5 set screws (with dog point/flat end) to replace the ones in some of my lathe QCTP BXA holders. Reasons I'm doing this is:

- minority of set screws are 3/16" hex drive whereas the majority of mine are M5 hex and I dont like double-tooling (Shars - they are IMP tool and MET thread)
- some are badly formed and M5 only fits 1/2 to bottom (Phase II)
- some are softer material
- some are 8mm O.D. and 4mm drive; have re-bored/threaded to fit 5mm drive (Accusize are like this)
- want some replacements on the shelf

Not sure if other holders (AXA and CXA) would use these same set screws but they seem to be fairly consistent across the BXA-asian lines. Of course, they could be used for non-lathe applications, too

Not looking for a commitment but considering I can get a box for a price close to open stock handful, I thought that if others felt it was useful that I'd bring in a full box and anyone in Calgary area interested could ping me when they want some and the price would be notably cheaper than singles price (e.g. 1/2)

Just let me know if you'd ever want a stash to pull from.

Anybody have a line on where to get 10x20x1.25mm screws at a good price for AXA tool holders?

Don

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I find Ebay or Ali to be best on small qty. less common sizes of metric, although its the usual slow boat delivery. These are stainless .
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/M10-1-25-Pi...hash=item28459c693e:m:mRLYR8pZsIOJCvMc0Y0ylGQ

Black oxide but hex head
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hex-Bolt-M1...147086?hash=item2a773d85ce:g:I54AAOSw-0xYUa9m

Are these for your tool holder clamp screws or the adjustment screw?
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. They are for the tool holder clamp screws. Mine are also made out of a poor "cheese substitute".
Don

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Seems odd they would use a fine pitch 1.25 vs the more conventional 1.50 pitch for M10. That's why I was asking.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ya I wondered about that too but heres a pic...

Attachments

• IMG_20180127_1606053.jpg
    IMG_20180127_1606053.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 10

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
How does a 3/8-20 gauge look on it?

nominal M10 OD ~9.8mm = 0.385"
nominal 3/8=.375" <--- pretty close

1.25mm = 0.049"
20 tpi = 1/20 = .050" <--- pretty close

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Pretty close but not as good as 1.25mm. The picture looks like a better fit than it really is. I should be able to interchange....I'll give it a whirl...
Don

Attachments

• IMG_20180127_1643075.jpg
    IMG_20180127_1643075.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 7

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
No not suggesting you interchange. It may well be 1.25mm pitch. Its just that it would not be the first time a badly made fastener actually starts to resemble a different spec thread!
I have some offshore SI fasteners where IMP hex wrenches fit better & visa-versa, so one just starts to logically think.... must be an IMP. And that's new, not galled or anything.
But as I was mentioning elsewhere, these tool holders in particular can have some strange screws, at least the older ones.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
My AXA tool holders use 8mm X1.25 X 20mm dog pointed set screws. I have changed them to M8 X 12.5 X 25mm Socket head Cap screws. This is because almost all my accessories use a 6mm Allen wrench, so using a 8mm Socket head uses a 6mm Allen wrench, and I need one fewer tool on the lathe.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good lord I think I'm loosing it. When this thread started I knew in my head that my tool holder screws were different, but I've been focused on the thread pitch. It wasn't until Dabbler wrote that his were 8mm that it clicked in my little pea brain that I had wrongly stated mine were 10mm. Oops.

Don

Jimbojones

Good lord I think I'm loosing it. When this thread started I knew in my head that my tool holder screws were different, but I've been focused on the thread pitch. It wasn't until Dabbler wrote that his were 8mm that it clicked in my little pea brain that I had wrongly stated mine were 10mm. Oops.

Don

AXA are usually 8mm...BXA usually 10mm
But since there are variances out there, best to pick a size and make em all the same