• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Fusion360 intro at next calgary meetup?

Fusion 360 hands on intro at next meet up.

• Total voters

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
And I’ll need a teaching assistant TA to help. The TA will need to know the basics of fusion to go around help people.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You need to know the basics of fusion.

What does that mean? And who decides what knowing the basics means come time to participate?

I am no quitter or shrinking violet. But I'm quite capable of holding everyone else up by insisting that the teacher wait while I figure out where the enter key is.....

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
What does that mean? And who decides what knowing the basics means come time to participate?

I am no quitter or shrinking violet. But I'm quite capable of holding everyone else up by insisting that the teacher wait while I figure out where the enter key is.....
I just mean the TA needs to know fusion in a general way to get people unstuck and help them.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I just mean the TA needs to know fusion in a general way to get people unstuck and help them.

Ah, the TA, not the students! Gotcha! Prolly no issues finding folks like that. No worries about me and the enter key either. I got that one down cold now. Having trouble with esc now.... :oops:

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I know quite a bit when it comes to modeling with fusion 360. I haven't learned to simulate mechanics but I've learned quite a bit on sketches, solid bodies and surfaces/ faces. There are lots of features to modify simple bodies into something complicated.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I had to delete the poll and start again - this is because there is no (free) way to view who picked which option. Sorry please recast your vote.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I had to delete the poll and start again - this is because there is no (free) way to view who picked which option. Sorry please recast your vote.

I replied virtual, because the commute to Calgary is a bit much. But you could provide hybrid model with online and in person both and therefore conduct this in multiple locations simultaneously.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I also replied virtual to attend if I can. Frankly, I would really love to do this. I'll even kill everything else on my home network to max out my available bandwidth in the hope that it works.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I also replied virtual to attend if I can. Frankly, I would really love to do this. I'll even kill everything else on my home network to max out my available bandwidth in the hope that it works.
Yah know, just hit me up any time to get custom one on one instruction, to save yourself a murder charge.

of course group training is also fun and informative since you hear what other people are struggling with.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'll keep that in mind. You definitely know what you are doing. My past can see that very clearly. I believe almost all of my issues are relics of that same past.

I seem to consistently create sketches and models that are broken and then won't do what I think they should be able to do. Going backward on the timeline doesn't seem to help. I expect that there is some really simple explanation / requirement / setting that I am ignorant of. Sort of like a fellow with a three phase motor wired to single phase who keeps playing with the switches and wiring connections but just can't get it going cuz he doesn't know the difference.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I don't have Fusion & no plans soon but I might tag along in a virtual class. FWIW I have seen a parallel intro 3D CAD (different app) session offered among dozen or so hobbyists in a common group via Zoom meeting & I though the format worked excellent. Some who had App installed did a follow along exercise & allowed for step by Q&A along the way. Others just wanted to watch in the background for now, but the experience got them motivated to get into CAD. Doesn't have to be Zoom necessarily but I believe its free for X amount of time & has the usual tools - sessions can be recorded so students can return back on their own to review, ability to share screen if needed etc.

Last edited:

Maker Mike

Premium Member
Fusion 360 is free for the hobbyist. You have to renew things every year and you can only have 10 active files at once, but it just means you can't be actively editing more than 10 at a time. Would be good to get it on your machine before a walkthrough. There is a manufacturing section of it for CNC users.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Fusion 360 is free for the hobbyist. You have to renew things every year and you can only have 10 active files at once, but it just means you can't be actively editing more than 10 at a time. Would be good to get it on your machine before a walkthrough. There is a manufacturing section of it for CNC users.
Maybe you can help me with the manufacturing parts mike.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member

Pretty hard going from Catia to that program EH?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Pretty hard going from Catia to that program EH?

Ya, I'm struggling. It's funny cuz I could use EasyCad, FastCad, and AutoCAD just fine and they are the same company. More 2D than 3, but then CATIA spoiled me. Now I cant find the Enter key...... (just kidding)

Maker Mike

Premium Member
John,
Will you be going over how to make shop drawings in your walkthrough? Good stuff to know if you are a manual machinist.