• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

fume extractors

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Before we move into our new house I want to find a better ventilation system. Since the area of the new garage what will be made into a shop will be more confined than the entire area of our old garage, I've been thinking a fume extractor would be the best option; but I think we all know how expensive they are. Does anybody know of some more affordable fume extractors that would work well enough for a single bay garage, or some other more affordable options?

Tom O

Ultra Member
We just put this fan unit in yesterday it is speed controlled 200 cfm wide open and was about $85.00 on Amazon. F94CB289-11E1-4F87-AA94-1DAA97AC27E2.jpeg 3BC0FD89-6A59-4FB3-AF37-0A0C1325C298.jpeg

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I have one similar to the above, used flex-spout with this fan inline unfiltered and out a drier vent. Works great but it needs to be inches away from the work to be effective. (Standard fume extractors are basically vacuum with no bag and still must be just above the work.)

You are removing vaporized metal dust from the air more than the inert gasses you might think are the problem, but they are pulled from the atmosphere and bottled. Every type of welding should use an extractor because of this.

Tom O

Ultra Member
We bought ours to reduce the temp in the garage / fumes and being a smoker it doesn’t hurt lol. Now I’ll be looking at getting a remote thermostat preferably with a auto and a continuous run / off feature I don’t want it to run when the furnace is on.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I do flux core, stick, aluminum mig welding, and tig welding. I also use an accetaline torch and a plasma cutter which also produce a good amount of gas and soot. I find the aluminum mig welding and the flux core deliver the most smoke, without a fan running the area turns white even with the garage door open. If a mounted extractor were only effective when it sits inches away from your work, I feel you would be very limited to where you could work; and
do most extractors also work on collecting dust from grinding and not only the lighter particles from fumes,to prevent the place from turning black with grindings?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I'm sure I'll be the bad example here but I don't use one. I have an attached garage and when we moved here 20+ years ago, I built one on wheels. It was essentially a mobile welding bench with a fume hood over it made from two range fans (I'm guessing about 150 CFM each). About the same time I switched from O/A and stick to MIG and TIG—and there just weren't enough fumes to worry about it. As pointed out it needs to be right over the weld area to be effective, but not too powerful that it sucks the shielding gas away. Even when I had my plasma table I didn't need it. I guess it's because for the type of hobby welding I do, and for the length of time I am striking an arc, I don't generate enough fumes to lose sleep over. If I am welding for longer periods of time I just open the garage door. If I were doing so much welding that I needed one, I'd be crossing the line from hobby to commercial venture, which voids your homeowner's insurance in almost all cases.

I'm sure there is some detailed medical study out there that documents how even a small amount of fume causes cancer. But at this point in my life, reading these studies is more harmful to me than the fumes I inhale. As I said, I'm sure I'm a poor example, but at the price of these extractors and for a hobbyist, they are out of my league.

Just my 2 cents....if I were younger and smarter I'd probably feel differently, or avoid the hobby altogether. For people who have made their own, good for you...maybe it extracts paint fumes as well which would be a good thing.

Last edited:

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
The original owner of my shop did a fair amount of painting and installed an explosion proof fan in the back wall.

It'll pull the main 11' garage door in about 1/2 inch if you don't open a window or raise the door a few inches

It vents out the back

IMG_3552.jpg

b4c1fc989a8897c252cd706e94b8141f.jpg

I find it useful when welding and sand casting to recycle air, but am looking for something more focused

I picked up some boxes squirrel cage fans (big ones) at an auction. I plan to adapt those, but need to find source for 12-18 inch piping
IMG_3553.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
My weld bench has a simple bathroom exhaust fan and a flexible dryer vent that I wiggle around and put above the works. Helps a lot it’s cheap. I think Tom Os 200 cfm fan would cost the same and be reasonable effective. There are those little welding masks that fit under your helmet too... with different filters available. Might be worth considering. And there are those fresh air helmets too.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
I wear the respirator w/filters as well. Weld for an hour then look at the filter....... you'll quickly start wearing it all the time

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
My filter turns brown from white in a about an hour or less. The problem is the dust in the air in the shop gets everywhere.

Now opening garage door is nice and gets clean air in very quickly BUT not so nice in the winter time. Blowers etc. are also nice except winter.

There are sometimes OLD welding fume recyclers on sale - sometimes as low as $300 but they are HUGE. I mean they are at least the footprint of a Bridgeport or more.

Helmets with clean air are nice but still don't help with fumes all over the shop that are hard to get rid of - it stinks even 2 days later so unless you want to wear that thing for days its not ideal.

Whenever I can I simply weld outside - solves most issues.

Indoors a lot can be done with TIG which is clean... other then a lifetime supply of stick electrodes I have that make stick welding almost free compared to TIG.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Living behind a baseball diamond/soccer field i dont like having the garage door open because you never know when a lowlife is looking at your stuff!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I open it just a bit - say 1m & all my machines are at the back walls.

Besides how are they going to steal a Bridgeport? I had surface grinder outside for almost a year and thieves didn't touch it.

Tom O

Ultra Member
We use a hydraulic bucket under ours we were thinking about having a smaller roll up door going out to the yard for the quad or anything else to pass through but it came down to the space thing. It’s the tooling and plasma chop saws and all the carryable things that I worry about. Last week I had a false alarm on the back door and after racing home ( beating the cops ) was happy to find things alright I need to get a concrete drill and put a 2” hole in my house so I can finish hooking up the cc cameras.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I need to get a concrete drill and put a 2” hole in my house so I can finish hooking up the cc cameras.
We have an attached garage. After countless people I didn't even know stopping by to peek in (some even asked to borrow tools), I installed CCTV over 15 yrs ago. I'm now on my third NVR and have 8 cameras. I love them. Countless studies have been done on this, especially in the UK: CCTV does NOT prevent crime directly. But it helps prosecute, and more importantly it helps you change behaviour and adjust physical security to help prevent it. For example, it allows you to see weak areas in your security and add more lights, or know when the problematic time frames are in your neighbourhood (Friday nights, end of school year, when bars let out, etc). You're better off having one or two good cameras with POE and continuously record than buy a package deal with many cameras. Most are tested in warm climates and won't survive Canadian winters. Places that sell commercial equipment are best. Indoor (inside your shop) are OK, but you won't see crime patterns unless you have outdoor cameras; that's where the good intel is.

Good for you for thinking ahead like this. You'll see some crazy things. I could write a book on the stuff I've captured. If you ever want to see the far end of the scale and what CCTV in a really bad neighbourhood is like, check out this guy's videos in Chilliwack: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfc5HgiA90PPRBm3Slx2UCA/videos

Tom O

Ultra Member
I have 2 in front pointing down the alley but will probably put 3 the wire is already there and 2 at the back door leaving one in the garage itself.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah I may get the cameras from COSTCO - at least one of my neighbors will no longer try to damage my water hoses. I may also catch the a-hole whom cut half my extension cord. I mean seriously? Extension cord? I live about 300m north of Temple. My parents are in Marlborough Park. They had a guy looking for his dog few times. He seems to never find it & has sticky hands. Notice the guys on bicycles are frequent offenders. I am scared for my garage - need to add extra lock to the door - I have no windows so they cannot just break the glass.

But nothing like the guy from BC. BC near Vancouver is scary place. The crime rates in some areas are so high they are higher then some hot spots in Mexico!

The main problem is rather "soft" criminal justice system - on "Cops of Vancouver" we have a police officer telling a crack head across the street that he is under arrest and wait for him (!) Dude knows the system, waits for the cop, gets handcuffs on and not much later for non-violent crime he is out again.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I bought mine at Costco then bought longer cables on eBay to go from the living room to the garage / alley. I’ll use 2 “ pipe to run it to the garage that’s big enough to run coax / internet cable so it’s hardwired to the Telus box / putter. There is a motion sensor in the garage so I’m not too worried about the windows but they will get some form of bars on them. What I Really hate is the garage doors! All that stuff in there and it’s locked by 1/8 x5/8 flatbar that extends 1/4” if your lucky into basically sheet metal rails locked by a cheap ass generic key lock.
Well enough of that I’m fine now! :p

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Put a commercial magnetic (reed) Overhead switch on your garage door. Don't use a indoor one because the steel dust from the shop gets inside them (see how mine is covered in it). Commercial ones are sealed:

https://www.interlogix.com.au/reed-switch-sm-overhead-spdt-3-76mm-gap-1-5ft-armourded-cable

You can interface easily even with the cheap Ideal RC alarm systems. Practically even a farm jack under a garage door isn't much good; it will tear it apart before it lifts it and you will hear this. The best thing about even a cheap alarm on these is, (if you buy the right one) they remind you when you left your door open at night...but you need to consider this when buying a system so that it isn't beeping when your door is open on purpose. This is mine:

door.jpg

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
I went with a single nest camera. Continuous stream to interest , instant notifications etc. Not cheapest solution , but sure is slick, and survived the winter facing north into the wind

It won't stop a Damn thing , but at least it can assist cops in responding and help me call my neighbours (we have a watch group).

I live out on an acreage , make a point of stopping unusual cars etc . Usually 19 year old City kids looking for a place to "park"

Almost drove over a couple who were "coupling" last week with my dirt bike .... hidden away in the tall grass along the irrigation canal