• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Shop Full Garage Tour!

Shop

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Looking good:)
Finish line in sight.

(You just need rough terrain wheels for the lift)

lol there's no dragging it through the several feet of snow piled up between the houses, even with bigger wheels than those utility wheels I bolt on.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Looking at the recent shop pics, I see that I have the same lathe, with the *exact* same power switch modification.
I wonder if *every* CX701 has it's quick-stop button torn off because it's so inconvenient. I'm thinking of wiring a stop paddle along the front edge.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Looking at the recent shop pics, I see that I have the same lathe, with the *exact* same power switch modification.
I wonder if *every* CX701 has it's quick-stop button torn off because it's so inconvenient. I'm thinking of wiring a stop paddle along the front edge.

I bought it used, mod was already done but I get it...my drill press has the estop button over the start and it's annoying AF, I just haven't bothered changing it.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
My ideal studio size is 200 square meters (2200 square feet)
I just summed out my woodshop, hot-metal space, and machine space. Just over 200 square meters. The only unfortunate part is the 90 minute travel time between the machine shop and the wood and hot-metal spaces. Country space (the 90 minutes away) is much cheaper than city space, and the machine shop footprint (and residential neighborhood noise) is much more reasonable than the woodshop and hot shop.

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
I just summed out my woodshop, hot-metal space, and machine space. Just over 200 square meters. The only unfortunate part is the 90 minute travel time between the machine shop and the wood and hot-metal spaces. Country space (the 90 minutes away) is much cheaper than city space, and the machine shop footprint (and residential neighborhood noise) is much more reasonable than the woodshop and hot shop.
Would you like to see a full view of your studio and some details?

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Really like @eotrfish's Canadian measuring chart + @Susquatch's farming ideocracy additions.
- Metalworking: The same day that I learned how to correctly tram my vise within 1/1000's of an inch I also drove home from the Metal Supermarket and kept my speed close enough to the 60 km/hr limit so that I didn't have to talk to the officer I'd noticed earlier. Yes, we Canadians certainly mix things up - eh!
- This conversation reminds me of Air Canada's July 23, 1983 Gimli Glider. Many of us will recall that Flight 143 ran out of fuel due to a metric/imperial conversion mistake combined with an instrument malfunction. You’d think we would have learned to be more consistent by now.
Never forget a sandwich board sign at a gas station in Stettler Ab during metric change

BETTER GAS UP HERE- USED TO BE 51 MILES TO LACOME BUT WE HAVE NO IDEA HOW FN FAR IT IS NOW

exact wording of the public sign sort of exemplified the rural public sentiment at the time.
To continue Susq.s farming & metric usage, there were thousands of acres of crop land burnt to a crisp from mistakes made formulating and crossing over water pressures from lbs to kilopascals, gallons to litres and land speed conversions that altered application rates of weed spray chemicals.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Never forget a sandwich board sign at a gas station in Stettler Ab during metric change

BETTER GAS UP HERE- USED TO BE 51 MILES TO LACOME BUT WE HAVE NO IDEA HOW FN FAR IT IS NOW

exact wording of the public sign sort of exemplified the rural public sentiment at the time.
To continue Susq.s farming & metric usage, there were thousands of acres of crop land burnt to a crisp from mistakes made formulating and crossing over water pressures from lbs to kilopascals, gallons to litres and land speed conversions that altered application rates of weed spray chemicals.
I know the introduction to the metric system took awhile to figure out the conversions and the units of measure . . . but, I am glad that it was pushed into schools in Canada.
The metric system will become more prominent as time goes by.
It is in 85% of the world already.
Several times, US colleagues had wished they had followed Canada’s lead and started the educational process ‘years’ ago.
Change is sometimes painful and a lot of work . . . but, can also be for the better.

Tom O

Ultra Member
If I remember right it was the cost of changing over all of the signage to include metric distances/speed that stopped the US from changing it would have been better if they update the signage over 10 or so years before changing.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
That's a very clean looking build.
Is that at patch of rubber the feet are sitting on?
View attachment 32624

Yup, just some 1/8" thick rubber sheet cut down into a little square. Gets the metal off the floor and provides ever so slight dampening of vibration.

Well done! Stand sets it off very nicely.

Thank you :) and gives me enough height to push it back over top the lift console as desired.