• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Frickken frackken winter

Hacker

Super User
What irks me most are all the middle men. Seems like every outfit between the farmer and the dinner plate is busy gouging. They drive up the plate cost at every opportunity and they NEVER pass on the benefits. So my costs keep climbing but I have no way to pass it on.

My fertilizer costs skyrocketed this year and the supplier profits went up with it. Grain prices went down. I asked the supplier for a discount. I think he laughed after the door closed behind me.

Two years ago the whole region was hit with a mold and bug problem in corn and the elevators started discounting the price of corn "to cover their own costs to handle it". Then they found a way to mix it out so it didn't affect them. But no refund cheque to me!

Used to be that the corn mash left over after making grain alcohol was just a waste stream. To ensure profitability on a process the government wanted to succeed, they subsidized for it. Then they found a way to feed it to pigs and charged it the pig farmer. Did the subsidy go away? No way! Did the price they pay for corn go up? No way! The farmer has nobody to pass the costs to, the consumer gets robbed on the other end, and the middle men get fat no matter what happens!
The bottom of the input chain (farmer or labourer) is always the one that struggles.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I buy my beef direct from the farmer. A friend of mine I went to school with that has now bought his Dad's farm and continuing on. I might be bias, but it's the best beef around. He's also one of the hardest working guys I know.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I am lucky enough to buy my beef from my brother in law. Great beef, and I eat a lot more steaks than I would be able to afford if I had to buy from the grocery store. Get it cut and wrapped through a butcher shop near my brother in law. Way cheaper than buying at the store, only issue is the drive to pick it up and keep it frozen till I get it home.

Raygers

Premium Member
I used to love winter back when I was young and stupid. Ice Boating on Rondeau Bay, running the back road snowdrifts in my tank of a car. Lots of fun back then, now not so much in fact the words I would like to use to describe my feelings would probably get me a time-out. ;)

Last edited:

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I’m an Ontario guy that spent a while in Calgary. Loved it!!
My absolute most fun in the winter was using a dirt bike with studded tires for ice racing.
Here’s a pic of the studded tires.

Attachments

• DE8C3827-BBCB-44EF-8401-48669797CDC8.jpeg
    DE8C3827-BBCB-44EF-8401-48669797CDC8.jpeg
    894 KB · Views: 8
  • 4FDD3EA6-9406-452C-B98B-E09C2A7AD285.jpeg
    4FDD3EA6-9406-452C-B98B-E09C2A7AD285.jpeg
    675.6 KB · Views: 8

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Mosquitos, black flies, sand flies, ticks, stable flies, deer flies, horse flies, fly fly's and then there is sweating and smelly pits.

You can always put more on in the winter but you can only get naked in summer.

I love winter. People don't scream as much when they see me!

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Mosquitos, black flies, sand flies, ticks, stable flies, deer flies, horse flies, fly fly's and then there is sweating and smelly pits.

You can always put more on in the winter but you can only get naked in summer.

I love winter. People don't scream as much when they see me!
your tracks show up better in the snow!!!!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Fall and spring are my seasons. Not a big heat of the summer guy, and Winter sucks until the lakes get frozen, and there's enough snow to ski, or sled. The start and end of winter are my most hated times of year. Someday I'll be filthy rich, and can go live somewhere else during those times. :D. Until then, I'll just be filthy.

KeeponDragon

Super User
Here in the Okanagan, the ski hills are getting snow...I think Big White got a 15cm drop last weekend...
Down below, just rain. The temps have been hovering between 5 n 10 degrees the last while...so I know the snow's coming...you can almost smell it in the air...
If I'd made more time...the paper thin roll up door to my workshop would've been replaced by 2 insulated, swing out doors...I have a plan in my head for that project...
So if the temps are overly chilly, I won't be in there much. Most of the warmth my heater does manage to produce just gets sapped through that friggin door...

Here in the Okanagan, the ski hills are getting snow...I think Big White got a 15cm drop last weekend...
Down below, just rain. The temps have been hovering between 5 n 10 degrees the last while...so I know the snow's coming...you can almost smell it in the air...
If I'd made more time...the paper thin roll up door to my workshop would've been replaced by 2 insulated, swing out doors...I have a plan in my head for that project...
So if the temps are overly chilly, I won't be in there much. Most of the warmth my heater does manage to produce just gets sapped through that friggin door...
When it gets snapping cold here, I cover the shop door opening with a layer of poly. It makes a big difference in heat loss, then when it warms up I take it right back down again until the next cold spell... I might do it 2-3 times a winter some years.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
My Daughter asked this morning if we were getting snow this weekend because she want's to go skiing lol. I wish it worked like that kid. She just grunted "ughhh, I HATE the cold without snow to play in". Me too Buddy. Me. Too.