Frickken frackken winter

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well it started, got up at 4am to snow all over the place, jeeez i don't like winter anymore. To make matters worse my fat little troll buddy won't come over and sweep the crap off my steps. What if i slip and break a hip. :(

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well it started, got up at 4am to snow all over the place, jeeez i don't like winter anymore. To make matters worse my fat little troll buddy won't come over and sweep the crap off my steps. What if i slip and break a hip. :(
Now I remember why I moved out east, 14 today, 19-21 the rest of the week, still picking raspberries, and still have plants in the garden. Hopefully you can just throw another log on the fire and watch it pile up:).

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Yeah, about 4 inches here now since midnight.
Oh well, later than a lot of years and October so far has been spectacular.
Usually fall is a real nice afternoon around here and this year it hung around for weeks.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Yup...were at 4" and rising this morn also. watched some news pictures from lower Ont lastnight and still leaves & green grass ...enjoy it boys.

Bandit

Super User
We got some too, looks like about 6 inches sitting on the railing. Was picking raspberries too on Sunday, not sure what kind they are, 2 crops off them, first in July or so, then some in Sept./Oct. Tasted pretty darn good.
Roads will be interesting, have to go to High River today. The snow just started falling again.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I'm not ready yet. I need one more good weekend to get all my snow weapons in good working order to fend off another attack of winter.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Nice fall day here on the north shore of Lake Erie. I have been taking off my Soybeans the last few days. Hoping to be done before the rain that they claim will start this Friday.

The view out back. We still have flowers.

20231024_140340.jpg

The burning bush has turned but the hardwoods have a ways to go yet.

20231024_140244.jpg

Bumper crop of Walnut this year. The source is the tall tree on the right half of the photo in the background.

20231024_140657.jpg

Eat your hearts out.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Nice fall day here on the north shore of Lake Erie. I have been taking off my Soybeans the last few days. Hoping to be done before the rain that they claim will start this Friday.

The view out back. The burning bush has turned but the hardwoods have a ways to go yet.

View attachment 39314

View attachment 39315

Bumper crop of Walnut this year. The source is the tall tree on the right half of the photo in the background.

View attachment 39316

Eat your hearts out.
Looks just like here :)

Doggggboy

Ultra Member

View attachment 39314

The burning bush has turned but the hardwoods have a ways to go yet.

View attachment 39315

View attachment 39316

Eat your hearts out.
That's just... mean.

slow-poke

Ultra Member

Really nice garden!

Just sets you off on the right foot looking out at something like that each morning, and ever changing.

The snow came a long way down the mountains, but hasn't gotten here yet. The toys are winterized, the wood shed is full, stove is going and shop season is near....... Winter? Bring it on man!

jorogi

Dang, wish we had snow. Work gets canceled and I get to go out to the shop and play all day.

John

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Our first frost was last night. (Burlington Ontario). Big change today- very mild. Like most of the last few weeks it was above seasonal. Last of the strawberry picking was Friday. Actually the temp is 15C right now at 10:00PM. I just took a pic of our deck to share- no snow here. That’s a maple tree that hasn’t changed colour yet.
I lived in the parries and loved it, but not the long cold winters.

Attachments

• 77412FBE-66CC-438F-BCC1-E80BD68544C2.jpeg
    77412FBE-66CC-438F-BCC1-E80BD68544C2.jpeg
    557.1 KB · Views: 9

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well damn, all those comments and pics of yards and flowers warms the cockles of my frozen old heart. NOT. The only good thing the snow did was allowed us to track down the last missing cow, spent 4 hours running around in sloughs and bushes keeping her moving home. Sat night something stampeded the girls through a new 4 wire fence, even busting posts off. Cows were scattered over a 15 mile area and not in a bunch, singles all over hell. Very unusual for cows to do that, and jumpy as all get out. Got them all home except for 3 that at=re in neighbors herds, will get those when they wean their calves. Been a long 3 days. Current opinion is a dog, cougar or moose was the cause of the stamped, we will never know for sure.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was happy with the price the calves brought, altho when i look at the price of meat in the store i shudder. Something is going to crash and being the start of the beef food chain we usually get it in the neck first, remember the mad cow episode.:(

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What irks me most are all the middle men. Seems like every outfit between the farmer and the dinner plate is busy gouging. They drive up the plate cost at every opportunity and they NEVER pass on the benefits. So my costs keep climbing but I have no way to pass it on.

My fertilizer costs skyrocketed this year and the supplier profits went up with it. Grain prices went down. I asked the supplier for a discount. I think he laughed after the door closed behind me.

Two years ago the whole region was hit with a mold and bug problem in corn and the elevators started discounting the price of corn "to cover their own costs to handle it". Then they found a way to mix it out so it didn't affect them. But no refund cheque to me!

Used to be that the corn mash left over after making grain alcohol was just a waste stream. To ensure profitability on a process the government wanted to succeed, they subsidized for it. Then they found a way to feed it to pigs and charged it the pig farmer. Did the subsidy go away? No way! Did the price they pay for corn go up? No way! The farmer has nobody to pass the costs to, the consumer gets robbed on the other end, and the middle men get fat no matter what happens!

Last edited: