• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

FreeCad Stuff

Brian Ross

As you said parts that could be disassembled I'd make separate models for them. So, I'd make a bracket that holds the two wheels as a model, one of the two wheels (if they are the same) as another and the platen as a third. Make sure to include the mounting features (e.g., bolt holes) on each part so that the assembly has features that can be used as constraints. Then in the assembly you would import the bracket, two copies of the wheel and the platen and then locate the wheels and platen on the bracket using constraints. If for some reason you needed to change the wheels, you would edit the wheel model then update the assembly and both copies of the wheel would be updated.

In the example I posted before there are 12 or 13 individual parts that are modelled separately, then individually imported into the assembly and assembled using constraints. The assembly process (adding constraints) is very similar to how you physically put the thing you are building together. You line up shafts and bores, fastener holes on two parts, line up edges, make faces co-planar, etc.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
After several attempts and more videos, I have managed to get this far. I don't think I am being as efficient as I can be so a question or two.

The main bar is 1x2". The wheels will be about 2.25" so the mounts need to be spaced out from the main bar, hence, in the drawing, the .25 blocks at either end. Then the wheels will be supported by the brackets. I drew one in place.

Questions...
I drew each spacer in position by hand versus drawing one and copying it. I tried the Clone function and figure that is a way to do it but for repeating parts like the 4 spacers, what is the best way to do it?

Same question for the bracket I guess....I drew one, fully constrained and in position but is there a duplicate method?

Where I lost it in the Clone function was positioning it. I was able to drag a spacer to the other end on the same face but it showed the end of the bar. I think I wanted to flip it 180 or just clone the spacer, not the bar end.

I started doing the wheel brackets with a rectangle box but really would rather have a radius edge instead of the radius box corners. Should I have started that with a poly line instead of a rectangle, then do an arc at the end? mmmm...will go play with that a bit more.

Any input or just keep watching videos?

I attached a pdf for reference in case someone was reading this but does not have FreeCAD

Attachments

• platen bar.zip
    84.2 KB · Views: 1
  • platen bar-Body.pdf
    46.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
After several attempts and more videos, I have managed to get this far. I don't think I am being as efficient as I can be so a question or two.

I'm admiring your persistence with figuring this CAD/CAM stuff out. I've tried numerous times now nanoCAD, QCad, Fusion etc and keep giving up in frustration. About the only thing that would motivate me to beat my way through it would be to purchase a 3D printer LOL. And.... I worked in the SCADA software industry for 30 years:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I'm admiring your persistence with figuring this CAD/CAM stuff out. I've tried numerous times now nanoCAD, QCad, Fusion etc and keep giving up in frustration. About the only thing that would motivate me to beat my way through it would be to purchase a 3D printer LOL. And.... I worked in the SCADA software business for 30 years.

I'm with you on this Craig, lost interest trying to work through Fusion and a much earlier CAD program I tried a few years back.

Me thinks it takes a special skilled (likely devious) mind to sort them out. Just saying! LOL

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
What broke the dam for me was a free introduction to Fusion360 course from Desktop Makes. It’s aimed at designing for 3D printing which was good for me

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
What broke the dam for me was a free introduction to Fusion360 course from Desktop Makes. It’s aimed at designing for 3D printing which was good for me

Which free intro to Fusion360 from Desktop, can you provide the specific URL?

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I too, have tried many times over the years with CAD. And gave up too. Various free ones and I think I even bought a cheap one once. But I think the impetus this time for me is the desire to build the CNC plasma. I think useless if you can't draw or import drawings. Maybe one could run the cutter right in G-Code but I don't know anything about that either. I watched one of the DAC videos (the builder of the CNC Plasma Cutter that @David_R8 is building) and he, at one point, modifies GCode so it makes me think that you could just program the cutter with GCode....but I am only surmising at this point.

As for CAD, I am seeing some progress daily, most of the time, so it motivates me, although most days, it is frustrating as I feel that I did something yesterday and can't remember how to do it today! As they say, 3 steps forward, 1 back....I will never master it, but maybe do some good enough sketches that are not embarrassing to post. It will be worthwhile when I can put a piece of metal on the table and have the computer cut it for me! Then, I might do a little dance...

Cheers,

Last edited:

Johnwa

Ultra Member
If you’re doing straight lines or simple arcs you can write the gcode easily enough. As soon as you want to do something intricate or artistic then it’s virtually impossible. It’s easy to have 1000s of lines of code.

Brian Ross

Shawn, that is starting to look pretty good. If you want to make copies of features in your model look at the mirror and transform functions. For the four pads, you could have made just one and then mirrored it once about the XZ plane and then mirror that about the YZ plane. You would end up with four of those spacers that all reference a single sketch. The brackets can be done the same way. As for the rounded corners, if you want rounded corners like you have in the model now, you can add those after you have made the pad by using the fillet function. When you use the fillet function, it is best to do that as one of the last things you do to the model. This is because if you make changes to something earlier in the history it can sometimes cause problems with what edges are filleted (they won't be the edges you have specified). If you want the ends to be rounded at the full radius of the bracket, that is easier to do in the sketch. There is a slot function in the Sketcher that makes it easy create this kind of shape.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
https://www.desktopmakes.com

I really like his teaching style so that’s probably why this worked for me.
I know Lars is the go-to person but I’ve never managed to get past the first lesson.

Thanks David, Lars may be the go-to person with Fusion360 however, I find his teaching begins well above your basic student lever for someone who knows nothing on using CAD programs. LOL

Last edited:

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Shawn, that is starting to look pretty good. If you want to make copies of features in your model look at the mirror and transform functions. For the four pads, you could have made just one and then mirrored it once about the XZ plane and then mirror that about the YZ plane. You would end up with four of those spacers that all reference a single sketch. The brackets can be done the same way. As for the rounded corners, if you want rounded corners like you have in the model now, you can add those after you have made the pad by using the fillet function. When you use the fillet function, it is best to do that as one of the last things you do to the model. This is because if you make changes to something earlier in the history it can sometimes cause problems with what edges are filleted (they won't be the edges you have specified). If you want the ends to be rounded at the full radius of the bracket, that is easier to do in the sketch. There is a slot function in the Sketcher that makes it easy create this kind of shape.

Mirror worked great once I got my head around planes..

I will go look at transform too.

Thanks again for the help!

Cheers,

Attachments

• platen bar-Body2.pdf
    53.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Paul has a series “ Learn Fusion or die trying “ that seem good.

Yea, that image was me after a half hour with Lars....so then I went with FreeCAD after Dabbler said it was worth looking at. I don't doubt Fusion 360 is great but I had to pick one and have had good success with Open source software so far. It seems well supported too. Maybe it is the sites I visit but it seems that FreeCAD and Fusion 360 are the dominate ones in this world of mechanical drawings and machining, with F360 being more popular. I think it is the one that you decide to focus on that becomes your favourite....nothing surprising there.