Free 14x40 King Canada Lathe on Vancouver Island

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Either place would have been a good home with lots of joy for all of us to follow.

I'm happy for all three of you on this one.

Lots of pictures please.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There will be pictures. Here's a couple to whet your appetite. (looks like he has all the hard work done!)
lathe-1.jpg
lathe-boxes.jpg

Going to pick up the bits and pieces Monday. The heavy pieces after I get back from a month long trip.

Took a look at a similar lathe's service manual online. Did you know this has like 10 or more gears in the headstock? You guys do realize this will likely be a group project?

(I don't see a tailstock - is there a tailstock). ;)

jorogi

There will be pictures. Here's a couple to whet your appetite. (looks like he has all the hard work done!)
View attachment 43838
View attachment 43839

Going to pick up the bits and pieces Monday. The heavy pieces after I get back from a month long trip.

Took a look at a similar lathe's service manual online. Did you know this has like 10 or more gears in the headstock? You guys do realize this will likely be a group project?

(I don't see a tailstock - is there a tailstock). ;)
Hey Tom, if you and Mickey need a hand loading the heavy bits let me know.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey Tom, if you and Mickey need a hand loading the heavy bits let me know.
I sure will! It will be a while, and I'm hoping we can slide the lathe off the dolly and into the trailer. I prefer not to lift anything if I don't have to. :p

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Isn't the vacation supposed to be a reward "after" the work is done. lol

If you hosted an Island get together it could be reassembled in no time. :D
I'm still wondering if it is a "vacation" if you are retired. Or is it just organized doing nothing on a schedule.

An Island get together to put it together sounds like a great idea! I'd just need a bigger shop. (but now you have planted a seed)

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
It is a very good sign that everything is boxed. Possibly the tailstock is in one of the bigger boxes. It is really bad when they are not boxed or sorted. Not conducive to retaining all the parts. Even if you are missing a part or 2, you chances of success are very good!

If I were there, I'd be right there to help you do your heavy lifting!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Generically similar to my King14x40 but I suspect newer. Unless I missed it, what year is it?

Also the headstock/bed mounting has come up in discussion a few times. Was it ever removed or remained in place?
1707441405467.png

mickeyf

To fill in a bit - Belt drive, not gear head. Serial number indicates 1996. Yes, tailstock in is one of those boxes. You can probably read the labels on some of the boxes if you look close or zoom in. I did not disassemble the QC gear box, and IIRC, the entire apron either. I did not remove the headstock from the bed - I figured there would be enough fiddling without having to think about re-aligning the headstock to the bed. The next step would just be cleanup, and I didn't see that removing the headstock would help enough to be worth the effort.