Free 14x40 King Canada Lathe on Vancouver Island

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
To fill in a bit - Belt drive, not gear head. Serial number indicates 1996. Yes, tailstock in is one of those boxes. You can probably read the labels on some of the boxes if you look close or zoom in. I did not disassemble the QC gear box, and IIRC, the entire apron either. I did not remove the headstock from the bed - I figured there would be enough fiddling without having to think about re-aligning the headstock to the bed. The next step would just be cleanup, and I didn't see that removing the headstock would help enough to be worth the effort.
I was wondering about the QC gears. Glad to hear they are still together! That's another 100 pieces I won't have to worry about. I located the service manual for the gear head lathe, and I think the parts numbers max out at around 600. Lots of gears. Some 24 tooth, some 28 tooth, and some 32 tooth. I was wondering if there won be a lot of tooth counting in my evenings going forward.

The fact that it is a belt drive is also a good thing as my other lathe is a King 1236, belt drive. I'm guessing there will be a lot of similarity between the two. As a bonus, I need to replace the belts on my 1236, so putting this one together should go a long ways in helping me disassemble and reassemble things to change the belt.

One thing I am looking forward to is a 2" hole through the spindle. My old Craftex had a 1". Although it seemed to me it was more 62/64" as I could seldom get the 1" stock I wanted through the spindle! I think my 1236 is 1.5".

Picking it up Monday morning. Getting pretty excited!

(PS: I did zoom in and saw that the boxes are labeled (going to be helpful), and the tailstock is there. Bit of a running joke about missing tailstocks here.:p

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I was wondering about the QC gears. Glad to hear they are still together! That's another 100 pieces I won't have to worry about. I located the service manual for the gear head lathe, and I think the parts numbers max out at around 600. Lots of gears. Some 24 tooth, some 28 tooth, and some 32 tooth. I was wondering if there won be a lot of tooth counting in my evenings going forward.

The fact that it is a belt drive is also a good thing as my other lathe is a King 1236, belt drive. I'm guessing there will be a lot of similarity between the two. As a bonus, I need to replace the belts on my 1236, so putting this one together should go a long ways in helping me disassemble and reassemble things to change the belt.

One thing I am looking forward to is a 2" hole through the spindle. My old Craftex had a 1". Although it seemed to me it was more 62/64" as I could seldom get the 1" stock I wanted through the spindle! I think my 1236 is 1.5".

Picking it up Monday morning. Getting pretty excited!

(PS: I did zoom in and saw that the boxes are labeled (going to be helpful), and the tailstock is there. Bit of a running joke about missing tailstocks here.:p
Save yourself a whole lot of headache and go with link belts.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
You will have to remember that you get full power in forward - link belts have a direction - and that if you run it in reverse, it should only be loaded to abut 50%. On a lathe this isn't too much of a restriction - but it will save wear on your link belt.

(then again a 5/8" link belt is rated around 3HP, and the motor is 1.5HP - but delivers less in my opinion, so this might not be too much of a problem...)

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I hope the apron is largely intact with gears. A guy contacted me on another forum, he has a nice Birmingham, basically same lathe/vintage as my 14x40. But he is having zero luck finding the apron worm or mating gear, which is the same issue I found when I rebuilt my '97. The original Taiwan factory has long since shut down & another reseller has limited, depleting parts. And that was years ago now & Modern pulling strings for me. The equivalent looking Grizzly parts are different & PM only sells to PM customers (and confirmed these parts no longer available so moot point anyways). My own take on this is they are probably nominal module but custom cut dictated by the center axis distances as a function of feed screw & apron gear layout. Maybe they should have STARTED with a gear catalog & designed the apron around it, but who am I to dictate. Longwinded way of saying, treat those gears like family heirlooms. No gears = no power feed. Maybe you will be lucky & can get King Canada to find replacements by providing SR#, but my experience with them was not good at all. Basically useless pencil pushers.

Attachments

• EDT-11-02-2024 10.28.48 AM.jpg
    EDT-11-02-2024 10.28.48 AM.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2

mickeyf

One thing I am looking forward to is a 2" hole through the spindle.

I don't want to break your heart, but a quick and dirty measure with calipers (not inside mic or even telescoping gauge) indicates about 1.7in. (Maybe 43mm?) The good news is that that should comfortably fit a 1.5 in shaft, which my 12x36 supposedly 1.5 in spindle hole will not do.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I don't want to break your heart, but a quick and dirty measure with calipers (not inside mic or even telescoping gauge) indicates about 1.7in. (Maybe 43mm?) The good news is that that should comfortably fit a 1.5 in shaft, which my 12x36 supposedly 1.5 in spindle hole will not do.
I think I will survive. And it's good to hear they went just over a standard size, as opposed to my old lathe which was just under.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You will have to remember that you get full power in forward - link belts have a direction - and that if you run it in reverse, it should only be loaded to abut 50%. On a lathe this isn't too much of a restriction - but it will save wear on your link belt.

(then again a 5/8" link belt is rated around 3HP, and the motor is 1.5HP - but delivers less in my opinion, so this might not be too much of a problem...)
Good to know and makes sense.

Of course, if I'm running in reverse it will likely be threading. And there isn't a huge depth of cut doing that.

And I mostly work with smaller diameter stock, so that will also help.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Good to know and makes sense.

Of course, if I'm running in reverse it will likely be threading. And there isn't a huge depth of cut doing that.

And I mostly work with smaller diameter stock, so that will also help.
You have a threaded spindle right?

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So the lathe is home safely, and will be rolled off the trailer after dinner.

Loading went very smoothly, thanks @mickeyf!

Looking forward to getting to work on this. In the meantime, my 3' walkway in the shop has changed into a 12" walkway. Good thing I have skinny legs.

IMG_0339.JPG IMG_0340.JPG

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Regarding reverse above.... [I forgot to hit 'post'!!

Actually I use my lathe in reverse for cleaning up threads with a file - the file is drawn away from the chuck, and I can choose to fit the thread by filing near the thread start first...

I haven't reverse threaded, as this spindle is really hard to 'make fast' so the chuck won't unscrew.

If either of you guys come up with a practical solution, I'm all ears! :(

I've had the Apron and the QCGB apart as well, and am available as a cheerleader! (no pompoms, sorry)

Last edited:

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Let the Kubota paint orange fly. Do you have your Kubota colour orange picked out yet. lol

Hope the rebuild goes well.
I think I'll go watch some TV: GREY'S ANATOMY. And then read my favourite book: THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GREY as I drink a glass of GREY MONK WINE. Hopefully taking my mind off having to pick a colour will help me make a good choice.

Or I could go with Orange.