• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Fixing/cleaning up wood

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Going through the storage truck lately, seems some of the wooden keepsakes are in need of some help. Linseed oil to clean/moisturize to start?

There’s 5-6 pieces that have some mouse dirt, water damage or just moldy. Probably each one will be different if it’s under or over a varathane/urethane coating?

Any resources/links/advice is welcome
53483525-784D-4FA5-9747-636A09208098.jpeg FD16B27E-FB8A-4699-9F88-DB8706A38E6B.jpeg

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Hey @Chicken lights : hit them with a spray of bleach and water (mild mix) to kill any mold/bacteria, light sand after wiping things.

If you want to re-coat things, come up and we can spray them to a new look.

I am planning a trip to NB first couple weeks of April. If you have the time we can set up a time and I will spray/ refresh anything you want ;)
Arrrggh!!! Sounds like the proper course with bleach/water

I’ll try to clean things up, maybe later in April I’ll head to your place with them. Need to get proper sized bins to store them better, first, anyway

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What’s the difference between the two?

Tung oil is obtained by squeezing the nuts of the tung tree (sounds painful) and hardens on exposure to air. It is a better stronger finish than linseed oil. But boiled linseed oil is better than regular linseed oil.

You could also use something like tru-oil but it's expensive and requires many coats.

If the wood has gotten soft or punky, you might need to harden it after killing the mold and drying it.