First send cut send trial project - welding coupon bend test rig

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I do remember noticing that if my plate was really, really hot, and I wasn’t 100% sure of a stop, I could, uh, edit it a little with a knotted wire wheel.

ha yea, just lean into that stop real hard, that trick works good for light undercut on the cap, hit it hot, and lean into that grinder like it owes you money

I had the most trouble learning vertical, honestly. Just couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong. One of the other students was a really phenomenal welder who’d worked in the shipyards inland from Shanghai. He let me watch him weld, I had sort of an epiphany. After that, overhead was totally manageable.

yea, vertical is by far the hardest position with 7018, that was the only stick plate i ever failed, welds looked great, but just running to hot/fast and trapping slag on the s/s. On my third attempt i turned it down, passed no problem, haven't failed a check test yet at the lower heat (118). I agree, once a guy nails vertical, overhead is a cinch, just like welding a flat, but less comfortable

Have you ever welded stainless stick up hand?....that's a trick and a half, probably the hardest position/rod/process ive ever come across, heck its easier to weld metalcore up hand than stainless stick up hand

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
ha yea, just lean into that stop real hard, that trick works good for light undercut on the cap, hit it hot, and lean into that grinder like it owes you money

yea, vertical is by far the hardest position with 7018, that was the only stick plate i ever failed, welds looked great, but just running to hot/fast and trapping slag on the s/s. On my third attempt i turned it down, passed no problem, haven't failed a check test yet at the lower heat (118). I agree, once a guy nails vertical, overhead is a cinch, just like welding a flat, but less comfortable

Have you ever welded stainless stick up hand?....that's a trick and a half, probably the hardest position/rod/process ive ever come across, heck its easier to weld metalcore up hand than stainless stick up hand
Never had a chance to weld stainless with stick.

My current job is all tig, haven’t run any stick in over a decade. I’d probably fail a flat test.