• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

First project - Machinist Hammer

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
More classes would be good. Milling maybe. Design of mechanisms... that I would really like.

jmottle

My biggest obstacle is the residential staircase to my basement shop. There is only so much weight one tread can hold once you factor the machine, a dolly, and 2-3 guys huffing it down the steps. I can't for example see myself hauling a Bridgeport down those steps LOL. As much as I'd love to.

jmottle

More classes would be good. Milling maybe. Design of mechanisms... that I would really like.

Agree. If they had a handful of manual milling classes I'd be all over that. They do have a MasterCAM class, but I'm more interested in the machine than how to run a CNC software that I likely would not be using anyway as I'd use Mach3.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
My biggest obstacle is the residential staircase to my basement shop. There is only so much weight one tread can hold once you factor the machine, a dolly, and 2-3 guys huffing it down the steps. I can't for example see myself hauling a Bridgeport down those steps LOL. As much as I'd love to.

Never say never. Tubalcain on YouTube has an interesting video on how he moved his Bridgeport into the basement you should go watch it.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I remember about maybe 5-6 years ago, they listed continuing Ed milling courses in the evening, like Level 1& 2. I registered, then a week before they cancelled due to insufficient numbers. Bummer. I seem to recall this repeated for a couple cycles so I gave up. Not sure why the lack of interest exactly. Maybe the trades guys take it during the day & insufficient hobbyists or skill upgraders. Courses are not exactly cheap either. I remember the good old days when they were a couple hundred bucks & fully deductible on your tax return. Now with Justin Silly Socks at the helm, pretty much everything is out of pocket expense with zero deductability. Including my kids college tuition. But I digress... :/

jmottle

I got an email back from Massimo and he thinks it's possibly to develop custom classes, but he's sending the request to the head of the department to continue the conversation. Will see what they say. I can't see them doing these classes for less than what the other classes are, so I would expect anything through SAIT would be in the neighbourhood of $500-600 with 10-15 people minimum.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
jmottle, my friend has a Bridgeport mill AND a 15 X 60" Leblond lahe in his basement... The lathe weighs more than the mill. So all things are possible!

I moved my12X36 lathe out of my basement into my current garage.... That is, by myself. -- It can be done!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hammer made in class.

Attachments

• 67A232F3-9746-4884-ABE6-A2D1829EADDC.jpeg
    67A232F3-9746-4884-ABE6-A2D1829EADDC.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 14

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice hammer.

I have some smallish el-cheapo jewellers hammers, but I really like the feel & balance & suspect it has a lot to do with the lighter density of wood & the oval S-curve shape. But I also want a standard head so I can screw in different tips like steel, brass, nylon etc. I know metal handles make great class projects because of the machining operations. Maybe I'll go wood just for old-tymey sake... but then I'll have to figure out that expansion shim thingy that keeps the head on.

In case you win the big lottery this weekend, check out these babies.
http://www.ottofrei.com/Fretz-New-Jewelers-Hammers-Set