• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

First project - Machinist Hammer

jmottle

Just finished my first lathe project this evening as part of the MACH 213 class at SAIT with Massimo. Excellent instructor and I had a TON of fun. Wish I could apprentice under him to learn everything he knows. Waiting to finalize my tool order with KBC and order my DROs and I can start working on stuff in my own shop.

Attachments

• IMG_3459.JPG
    IMG_3459.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3460.JPG
    IMG_3460.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3462.JPG
    IMG_3462.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3463.JPG
    IMG_3463.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3464.JPG
    IMG_3464.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 31

Tom O

Ultra Member
Just finished my first lathe project this evening as part of the MACH 213 class at SAIT with Massimo. Excellent instructor and I had a TON of fun. Wish I could apprentice under him to learn everything he knows. Waiting to finalize my tool order with KBC and order my DROs and I can start working on stuff in my own shop.

Looks good I thought they were getting rid of the manual lathes at SAIT at least that is what my son was saying.

jmottle

Looks good I thought they were getting rid of the manual lathes at SAIT at least that is what my son was saying.

Not sure. He did not mention anything about that. Right now though this class is a pre-requisite for any of the CNC classes. I was one of the only ones (only 2-3 total) there as a hobbyists and not there for the pre-req. LOL.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice hammer. Eventually I'm going to make a lightweight version with screw-in faces - steel, brass, nylon... There's some nice designs out there.

Some personal trivia. When I was still in high school (full admission, mid-70's) I took a SAIT evening machining class. The project was a brass cannon. Hand filed bar stock rails & notched cross members, maybe 1" dia x 8" long tapered barrel, brass spoked wheels, steel rims, some rudimentary decorative features here & there. Its still at my dad's place, I'll have to polish it up & take a pic one day. I think those were Southbend lathes in the original shops before they tore them down & relocated to new buildings. I remember it was a pretty brisk pace, you didn't want to mess up many parts. You had to grind your own HSS cutters for various profiles & sign out tools from this dude behind a counter using numbered tokens. That course was something like $50 or $75. Makes me laugh even to say that. Pretty sure the brass for the barrel alone would be more than that now. Later on when I tool Mechanical Engineering Technology at SAIT, we also had a basic machining course just so students would understand fabricated parts didn't grow from the dirt LOL. We made a knurled plumb bob from 12L14, Then you were on your own with an O1 tool steel center punch which was measured & graded, which I still have & use today.

It would be a shame if they pulled the manual lathes. Hopefully they mean replace/upgrade them. But it also wouldn't surprise me, programming & button pushing is the only way to be competitive, at least for production.

jmottle

Nice hammer.

Thanks!

It would be a shame if they pulled the manual lathes. Hopefully they mean replace/upgrade them. But it also wouldn't surprise me, programming & button pushing is the only way to be competitive, at least for production.

All Asian machines now in the classroom we were in. Around 30-40 lathes, 6-8 drill presses, a few mills and 6-8 Baldor grinders. All the lathes we used were 500 x 1000 (ish) I can't recall the exact size now. Actually were pretty nice machines and worked well.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Kevin and I have had a few sessions in our course. We are making a hammer too but a different one. The course is filling in gaps and I’m learning better techniques. Worth the time and money. Here’s a few photos. We are using the blue lathes in the first picture. We got a tour and this is some of the equipment they have.

Attachments

• 256DBCA2-0F2B-4FCC-A7FC-5A3BC83B61AF.jpeg
    256DBCA2-0F2B-4FCC-A7FC-5A3BC83B61AF.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 94704CC2-E2D8-417C-B4F0-92C2B764B6A1.jpeg
    94704CC2-E2D8-417C-B4F0-92C2B764B6A1.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 56EAEFEA-4CBB-458A-A60B-F3886C64A170.jpeg
    56EAEFEA-4CBB-458A-A60B-F3886C64A170.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 4FE00652-FBD2-4CE2-AF19-1525661CF95F.jpeg
    4FE00652-FBD2-4CE2-AF19-1525661CF95F.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 19

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
The course is great, especially for people new to machining. Learning something new and useful every class -- good value imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmottle

Looks like you guys must be in a different class than I was. Who is your instructor? Massimo? I loved every single class. Wish I could do another one with another project. I'd be in there every week without hesitation.

I wonder if SAIT would do a custom class if there were enough people. There was a summer CNC class that was not scheduled yet as there were not enough people, but several in the class wanted to go and managed to get enough to get them to confirm the class.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I wonder if SAIT would do a custom class...

That's kind of what I was hoping for an organized scraping class. But I don't think the planets align for several logistical reasons Dabbler outlined. Even if we had shop access, meaning workbenches, vises, access to granite plate, specialized measuring rig & basic tools... that would probably require some degree of SAIT oversight (meaning a participating instructor even if he is not instructing). I don't think they would just hand over the keys. Then there is timing issue. A 5-dayer would have to be off season either when school is completely out or leveraging on say a statutory long weekend. Evening classes would be out because it would compete for space & now the 'flown in expert' would have to be here for extended period. Plus he still has to clear customs with any remaining tooling & the purpose of visit potentially drawing income Q&A B.S.

But if you have an idea to host a class of a non-curriculum theme, you should reach out to SAIT. They have generalized some courses to 'bring your own project'. Many years ago some guys I knew organized a 'build a steam engine' class. They bought 15 casting sets, fulfilled the class size & used the same instructor many of us had for one of their regular evening classes. I'm sure that was the case for 'bring your project' welding & maybe even a machining / gunsmithing type course. I would suspect it would have to be within the realm of instructor oversight & safety etc. But who knows with liability & bureaucracy these days. I can also foresee a business case to leave the lights on & have the machines sit idle.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yup, nice looking (Asian) machines. Did you happen to catch the make?

Attachments

• 2018-05-02_19-02-08.jpg
    2018-05-02_19-02-08.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 8

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Yes the blue ones are Taiwanese.
All the settings are available without any gear swaps.

Attachments

• 17E88A15-4185-476B-8319-950002103AB4.jpeg
    17E88A15-4185-476B-8319-950002103AB4.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 7

jmottle

Yes the blue ones are Taiwanese.
All the settings are available without any gear swaps.

These are the machines I used in my class. I am not looking forward to using my much smaller, cheaper Chinese lathe now. Having worked on these, I think in hindsight I would have purchased a much different machine. Oh well....next one.

Josh, Alex and I had lunch today and we discussed reaching out to SAIT to see if they would still host a class and instructor if we brought the students. I'll email Massimo and see if that's still possible. I'd LOVE to take more classes.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Yeah next one. Next one. I keep thinking that too. I’m really grateful for what I have and I want a Cnc lathe. They’re so expensive though I think a conversion from a manual would be the best option.