• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

First lathe crash

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
If I ever upgrade to a bigger lathe, the careful factor just jumped from a 10 to an 11.
And remove the legs and handles.

No way to know now but I wonder if lowering the tail end would have been safer?, less weight and stress on the legs.

Good you're physically okay.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
On that sucks, glad you didn't get hurt

I guessing you had it rigged in a basket?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@kevin.decelles I'm really glad *you* and the rest of your equipment are unscathed. It really sucks big time, but knowing you, you will find a way to get it all running again. The lesson learned could have come at a much higher price.

amanyad565

I'm glad you were not hurt. Such things rarely happen here, but it happens. You have to be careful not to hurt yourself or others

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Your're not the only one to suffer this kind of mishap. This picture was posted on another forum, it happened when he was unpacking his brand new Eisen 1440EV lathe. Makes me want to puke just looking at it.

View attachment 32320

I would puke.

The driver busybee sent to deliver our 12x37 lathe caused it to topple over inside the truck. Luckily only one handle snapped apart and no one got hurt. The pallet it was on was flimsy, too small and unstable. No pic sorry

I would puke.

The driver busybee sent to deliver our 12x37 lathe caused it to topple over inside the truck. Luckily only one handle snapped apart and no one got hurt. The pallet it was on was flimsy, too small and unstable. No pic sorry
Why would you accept it? Send me another one, your fault your problem.

Strangely enough when I picked up mine it was not assembled on the base so initial moving was a lot easier as the COM was relatively low. Once the lathe was on the base, it became a lot scarier to move those last few inches into place.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
When I bought my lathe, it came in a beautiful crated box with..... A perfect forkhole clean through both sides of the box. :eek:

I called the fellow in the US who shipped it to me and he said it was the shippers problem.

I called the shipper (US Freight), with photos, and...... They agreed!

They asked me to open the crate before we did anything else. So I did.

As impossible as it seemed, that jitney fork passed right through thin air and didn't damage a thing.

I unpacked the rest of it and set it up. It worked perfectly. I've been happy as a pig in shiest ever since!

It could have been a much worse story to tell.

When I bought my lathe, it came in a beautiful crated box with..... A perfect forkhole clean through both sides of the box. :eek:

I called the fellow in the US who shipped it to me and he said it was the shippers problem.

I called the shipper (US Freight), with photos, and...... They agreed!

They asked me to open the crate before we did anything else. So I did.

As impossible as it seemed, that jitney fork passed right through thin air and didn't damage a thing.

I unpacked the rest of it and set it up. It worked perfectly. I've been happy as a pig in shiest ever since!

It could have been a much worse story to tell.
When lady luck smiles on you smile back.

mechaform

Sorry to see the aftermath but the important part is that you suffered no injuries.
Any hope of salvage/repair?

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I’m working on the salvage/repair. I opted to construct a new leg/base out of steel and this is complete. Gear box needs to come apart to braze a piece as does cross slide etc.

It wasn’t a tool room lathe before it went over , but I’m confident it will be as good/useful to me as before.

I primarily used it for drilling operations

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Time for pics of your new shop. Do you have more room now? The last time I was at your place it was a maze as in lots of stuff....:eek:

Mind you, you still had the tractor in there.

Did you haul all your scrap metal to SK?

Last edited: