• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

First day with new carbide end mill

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hard to know but that could have contributed to some challenges. Was the part pretty hot at any time of milling? Your chips don't look discolored inferring no but not sure if that was cleanup operation.

I haven't done a ton of SS but I prefer 303 hands down over 304. For some reason the local places unfortunately seem to predominantly carry 304. If its just some basic turning, fine, we can usually slog through it. But personally, if its a more complex part, especially tapping or threading, I find myself passing on the Mysterium scrap box because, time, power & broken tools cost money too LOL.

Note Fig-2 that compares SS to other alloys is based on the best SS machineability as reference (416). All other SS's are lower (Fig 3).

Attachments

• SNAG-1-16-2021 0002.jpg
    SNAG-1-16-2021 0002.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 11
  • SNAG-1-16-2021 0003.jpg
    SNAG-1-16-2021 0003.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hard to know but that could have contributed to some challenges. Was the part pretty hot at any time of milling? Your chips don't look discolored inferring no but not sure if that was cleanup operation.

I haven't done a ton of SS but I prefer 303 hands down over 304. For some reason the local places unfortunately seem to predominantly carry 304. If its just some basic turning, fine, we can usually slog through it. But personally, if its a more complex part, especially tapping or threading, I find myself passing on the Mysterium scrap box because, time, power & broken tools cost money too LOL.

Note Fig-2 that compares SS to other alloys is based on the best SS machineability as reference (416). All other SS's are lower (Fig 3).
Those are good charts I'm going to print them out.
Thanks for all the suggestions and info folks.

Chip Maker

Super User
I haven't a clue what alloy of ss it is. It was a small chunk I had on hand that was given to me. Its totally non magnetic ( not all ss is non magnetic) . I was going to make it out of brass because it is so nice to work with but I think the stainless steel looks great and doesn't dull like brass ( either material is overkill for this particular project but it was a fun thing)

Most likely 304 SS