• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

first cnc coming soon

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well I've finished off the electrical switches finally this one was a pain it has a pilot light when it is in the on position, you have to use the white wires and a ground to get the neon light to work. ( I never claimed to be a Sparky! ) Pilot switch.jpg
View attachment 1905
I picked this type to show if someone turns off the floodlights in the alley I may print up a part that will have a rod keeping it in the on position.

I also cleared out the corner and placed the template down it looks like a 45 angle to the corner will be the best choice when the mill gets here.

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
We got back some floor space today by building a stand for the soft jaws now we can start mounting the converter and plan out what we need before getting the electrican in.

Soft jaws.jpg

Tom O

Ultra Member
Converter mounted.jpg

The push has slowed down a bit we hung the converter on some 1" chipboard left over from the shed flooring and I am running the wires to it, the electrician will come over Sunday to do the connections and wire in the surge protector. The converter has no knockouts which I thought was odd just a piece of paper telling you to clean up all chips!

Tom O

Ultra Member
Today we finished up the wiring exept for the end when the transformer gets placed tomorow and powered up there we will bring it across and down.
Power plumbed.jpg
This is the ceiling recess for the Haas spindle it needs 105 inches clearance.
Ceiling recess.jpg
It's been a fairly long project but I think we are down to mostly cleanup and a few odds and ends.

Tom O

Ultra Member
The electrician came today and hooked up the lathe and surge protector it fired up ok and the spindle turns and all axis move then we got a low oil light so we'll have to get that topped up, the m button needs a fairly hard push though but we have another controller if it doesn't loosen up any.
The sparky left and we put the cover onto the transformer and Adrian was taking off he said I"ll show you how to fire it up in case you want to play with it,... and it doesn't boot up....... after a headscratch we pulled the cover off again when we put it on we doubled over the unused wires and wrapped them with tape we didn't realize that one of the 120 feeds pulled out and we taped that too! Back to a happy camper!

Tom O

Ultra Member
The Haas is suppose to be here tomorow around 8 am for freight inspection!
I'm leaving a beer and cookies out for the snow gods!

Tom O

Ultra Member
The vice and tooling came in today and the mill has been prep'd for the opening in the garage they still have to pull off the feet when it gets here so that should give us 3/4 of a inch clearance while being on the 4" dollies so now it is a matter of getting the Riggers and Tech guy on the same page it looks like monday is the big day!

The lathe on the other hand was loading ok but now everything loads up and passes on screen but stalls displaying
" HOST CONTROL INITIALIZING " Monitor.jpg
the fan runs but thats about it probably something simple. I'm wondering if it is searching for a computer thats not hooked up yet!

Tom O

Ultra Member
The mill came today at 8:30 am and was in place by 12:30 after they removed the feet and top components so no more worries about getting it through the garage door!
They used a 1" plate to roll it into the garage it also had to be turned a bit more to fit the recess in the ceiling Haas 1 inch plate.jpg

Haas rolling.jpg

Haas installed.jpg

Tom O

Ultra Member
Your welcome! It still needs trays and electrical hooked up the sparky pulled a noshow Sunday theres a lots of boxes and grease to clean too!

Tom O

Ultra Member
We put the trays on yesterday looks much better.
Tm1p with trays.jpg

The wooden box contains the 4th axis and the box is the 3 jaw chuck theres a tailstock around somewhere too.
One problem we have is the 3/4 "collet they sent us a 19 mm indexable cutter that won't slide into it!
19 mm = 0.7480314961 so it should fit I'm a little hesitant to emery the finish off the cutter!

Tom O

Ultra Member
I haven't posted for a while we are making headway though it turns out that when ordering the tooling package no one thought about a collet wrench you'd think it would come with the package right? Nope I did find a ajustable C spanner that works though, we have also put in a decissant air dryer per the Tech's request it seems that it can void the waranty on the spindle so I finally installed one I bought years ago when the plasma was purchased.
We are using fusion 360 but all the post processors in the drop down box were for pre new generation that was found on the autodesk library mind you I found you have to enter haas mill in the search that brings up more choices.
Ng code.jpg
In the meantime we have beem getting use to the probing system and have faced off 4 sides of a block checking out the code that was produced and machining at 5% watching (or trying to) for that WTF moment so pocket and contours next. We also still have to mount the chuck in the 4th axis.

Haas first op.jpg

Trying to watch!
IMAG0853.jpg