• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

first cnc coming soon

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well I've been talking about getting a cnc machine for sometime now and my son found this one at his work it is unpluged but works and comes with the transformer and chip conveyor as well as a collet chuck I'm not sure about collets though. The guy who fixes their machines says it is in good condition / acurate, it was sold as a employee deal for $5000.00 so here we go jumping in with both feet!Lol
Screenshot_2017-07-31-13-41-44.jpg Screenshot_2017-08-02-15-17-23.jpg Screenshot_2017-08-02-15-18-02.jpg Screenshot_2017-08-02-15-17-04.jpg Screenshot_2017-08-02-15-19-08.jpg

Tom O

Ultra Member
There's not much to add right now, I bought a 10x10' shed that will get put together on the weekend to help empty out the garage.
The lathe will be delivered around the 18th.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
There's not much to add right now, I bought a 10x10' shed that will get put together on the weekend to help empty out the garage.
The lathe will be delivered around the 18th.
Good for you Tom. Keep us posted.

Tom O

Ultra Member
We just got the riggers quote $1850.00 to move it and set it up or whatever they do, then its just a matter of figuring out how to run it I've been going over the manuals but a cnc for monkey's book wouldn't hurt!:)

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I suppose people think that is a lot of money for moving something, but if you look at the vids on YouTube of guys doing it themselves, I'm with you.

kylemp

We just got the riggers quote $1850.00 to move it and set it up or whatever they do, then its just a matter of figuring out how to run it I've been going over the manuals but a cnc for monkey's book wouldn't hurt!:)

How heavy is it, where is it coming from and is it going directly into a garage or something with a concrete floor that has a road access?
I just moved mine a week or so ago.. too me a few hours to do myself but I did managed to get away with it. I'm not saying that it's easier but sometimes it's worth saving a bit of money.

Tom O

Ultra Member
They quoted the price at 7000 lbs but the manual says 10000 lbs it's coming from around the bus depot on 32 Ave moving to Doverglen S.E. near Peigan trail and Deerfoot trail. I got my cherry picker back today so we can bring the 250 lb transformer home so thats a bonus.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
that's got to be exiting to be so close to having it in the shop!

I got quoted 4000$ to move a 15" LeBlond lathe: from a basement! that's only 5200 lbs, but it has to be dismantled for transport and hand carried up the stairs.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I made a fixture out of wood to winch machines down the stairs it worked for the Clausing lathe, shaper, and my benchtop mill it worked great.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well Home Depot delivered the shed yesterday I heard him out front and went to tell him it goes in the backyard. He was parked across the street but around the corner so I had to chase him down the next alley over. I didn't ask him if he new what the numbers on the houses was for, I thought humor was the first to go apperantly its sarcasim!

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well here's a bit of a update the garage is coming along great! As you can see there is lots of light and alot more room although we are still sorting things for basement, shed or turf. We went with a 30 hp digital phase converter that is due here next week.
I still have to drill a hole into the basement to feed video cables that can be hooked up along with the computer / tv (eventually)
and one more coat of paint for the ceiling.

Garage left side.jpg Garage right side.jpg

Tom O

Ultra Member
I sure hope it fires up good too! One of his shopmates spent time on this machine and has offered to help if needed.
Yesterday we rolled out some brown parcel paper and cut out the pattern for the Haas tm1p this will allow us to find the best spot, we are thinking on a 45 to the corner to allow the 3 foot door swing for the panel.
Once we have decided on a spot we have to raise the ceiling because total height for the z is 105 inches, acording to Haas it should be here at the end of the month till then I shall be yelling at the snow gods to p*ss off!