• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Finished Basement Workshop?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have both magnetic sweeps the cheaper one works but the self releasing one works like a dream.

Ive been a hair width away from ordering one. Do you have a make and model for the self release so I can have more confidence that I will get one like it?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey @Tom O .

Is your releasing floor sweep that you really like one of these?

Master Magnetics Magnet Sweeper Mini Push-Type with Release, 13-Inch https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000VKF3JM/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_C2YQMY9S2CQ4WY34HEGR

Toolway 716126 24-Inch Magnetic Sweeper HD 30-50-Pound https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01DLKBUMC/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_A7G404RG8E0T9RWAKBW8

Neiko 53418A Heavy Duty 36-Inch Magnetic Sweeper Metal Pickup Tool with Quick Release https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000HGN6P8/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_K35ERD7AXQP12F21SN9S

Master Magnetics MFSM14RX Magnet Sweeper Heavy Duty Push-Type w Release, 14" https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0028T70F4/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_4AM28630G7WYK3CH2194

architect

Super User
I use the mats that come on sale from PA, catches about 99.9% in the holes followed by a quite vac.
images

Do you mean these? I thought the holes were a bad think to have debris stuck but maybe like you said it's a good thing for the basement setup to contain debris.

Are these tough into to take point loads from like a 4-legged stool? I imagine one of the foots can press between the holes and tear into the "web" structure.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
We have two of them, also males.
Two? Lucky guy. We'd love another but our little guy has lots of anxiety issues. He would not do well with competition for my wife's attention.

Porties rock. Although I always smile when I think how smart and mischievous they can be. I can't count the number of times I've had to relate how this happened, or that happened, always prefaced by the phrase, "Sadly, he was unattended at the time..".

An unsupervised Portie is never a good idea, but always an entertaining one.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I sectioned off, and walled one corner of my basement for light woodworking and assembly and disassembly of jobs. The room is 12'x12'. It has one double window to let light in. I sealed the concrete floor, then added 1" thick rigid insulation, taped all the seams, put 3/4" T&G plywood on top, drove concrete screws through to prevent the plywood from shifting, then put 3/4" thick 3'x4' rubber mats down. If you're going to be standing all day, take care of your feet and back. The walls which share the exterior are insulated and with moisture barrier. I attached 3/4" plywood to all the walls so I can easily attach anything to them. Heavy stuff gets attached to the studs. I ran 1/2" EMT conduit on the wall surfaces with plenty of 20amp outlets. I have 6 fluorescent fixtures (12- 4' tubes). (I do a lot of small intricate operations, so I need plenty of light.) NB. I have no shag carpeting :D
Nice. That's some great planning you put into your shop.

BTW, I know I can die now because I never thought I'd live long enough to see the phase "I have no shag carpeting," and a signature line that quotes Thomas Carlyle in the same post. Personally I Iove his writing, especially Sartor Resartus, but you rarely encounter anyone else who knows of him. He was a Scottish bad*ass, and I like to picture him in the Scottish countryside, screaming at a bunch of kids, "GET OFF MY MOOR."