• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Finished a project #42.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Now I still have to wire up to the air solenoid and clean up the hoses but I've been putting off mounting the nozzle assembly for about a year. All because the hose was too short. So this week I came up with a solution. Hose for fluid reaches. There was no excuse to not mount the mister.

So I found a corroded piece of aluminum flat bar 1.5" across. Cleaned it up. Used lots of the tools in the shop to center the holes etc. Drilled and threaded the aluminum casting to mount the plate. Drilled and tapped the plate for the valve assembly.

All done. Now even if I don't add coolant I can have just air blowing on what I cut.

SprayMisterMounted.jpg

So simple. Project 42 is done. Only 42 more to go.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Now I still have to wire up to the air solenoid and clean up the hoses but I've been putting off mounting the nozzle assembly for about a year. All because the hose was too short. So this week I came up with a solution. Hose for fluid reaches. There was no excuse to not mount the mister.

So I found a corroded piece of aluminum flat bar 1.5" across. Cleaned it up. Used lots of the tools in the shop to center the holes etc. Drilled and threaded the aluminum casting to mount the plate. Drilled and tapped the plate for the valve assembly.

All done. Now even if I don't add coolant I can have just air blowing on what I cut.

View attachment 32501

So simple. Project 42 is done. Only 42 more to go.
Nice work.
Where do you get the hose fittings the blue hose fits into?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I got my air air hose & NPT fittings off Amazon. They were reasonably priced & decent quality.

Attachments

• IMG_5111_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5111_edited-1.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5197_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5197_edited-1.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 6

fixerup

Super User
Very nice add on to the mill.
I have been thinking of installing one but know nothing about them. I have never used or seen in use a mist coolant system. Does the mist more or less stay localized to work area? do you use a water soluble coolant?

I have used the Princess Auto push on fitting to set up air line drops in my shop. They work well providing the inserted air line have no side stress on the fitting or they will leak like a sieve. The Princess Auto tubing was so stiff and coiled curved, I had to strain relief it at every connection drops. My system is now leak free.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Truck supply business's are excellent places to acquire brass air fittings, trucks use them by the bushel. if you discover threads dont mesh from one brass fitting to another you probably have one air fitting and one with gas fitting threads, they are different and BBQ or Propane supply stores are your huckleberry in this case.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Very nice add on to the mill.
I have been thinking of installing one but know nothing about them. I have never used or seen in use a mist coolant system. Does the mist more or less stay localized to work area? do you use a water soluble coolant?

I have used the Princess Auto push on fitting to set up air line drops in my shop. They work well providing the inserted air line have no side stress on the fitting or they will leak like a sieve. The Princess Auto tubing was so stiff and coiled curved, I had to strain relief it at every connection drops. My system is now leak free.
Mine was from KMS. Yes. I do have to switch off the ball valve at night or the compressor cycles every few hours. I've not figured out where the minute leak is. But then I have a fair number of places where I can connect.

The down side of mist coolant, as I'm sure many will state, is that it's like a spray gun and there will likely be atomized particles in the air. Not healthy I'm sure. The mill came with flood coolant which I've never used because the cutters will tend to wing it all over the place. Until I build shrouds around it like a Tormach or HAAS I can't see using flood.

This is what I bought from KMS Tools. The photo is from August 2022 so that's when I mounted the board to the stud wall. But nothing has happened since. The board is only there because it also provides the regulated and oiled air for the butterfly wrench pneumatic draw bar and cylinder.
KoolMist.jpg

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
A suggestion - get some 6mm-ish soft vinyl tubing. Just the right size to fit inside the locline fittings (stretch it to reduce the o.d., pull into each link and then snap the links together). No leaks when you twist the locline at odd angles.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
When mine fails I'll consider that. At the moment it has 2mm tubing inside and the nozzle has the venturi to pull liquid.
However I help that along by pressurized air into the liquid container. So I can control both air velocity and fluid content