• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Finding Lathe Spindle center line in CNC with multiple tools

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I paid 45 for a similar one off aliexpress
Yeah. Annoying to say the least. When I went looking that particular model wasn't available for less than $95 from any of the suppliers. Now 6 months later...
Ah well.
I've modified some of the G-Code subroutines and I can now go through the tool measuring process before starting a project.

I selected 4 TTS holders with cutters and one drill chuck with a 1.4" drill bit.

Used my probe to set the zero point on the top of the two 1-2-3 blocks. Then moved each tool and the drill bit over after a tool change and they all matched the position of the surface. So much easier than using a piece of paper and jogging down to set tool length.

Tend to draw up from XY plane. Doesn't matter from the CAM perspective as I can set zero wherever I want.
For example for the spiral finish machining of the underside I put the Z on the bottom of the part at the center. The tool bit was a 0.375" ball mill cutter.
View attachment 29421
It's possible to have multiple work zero positions depending on what type of machining is desired. This started out as a sandwich of MDF pieces.
View attachment 29423
Interesting, I am going to have to consider other options as I progress.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Tend to draw up from XY plane. Doesn't matter from the CAM perspective as I can set zero wherever I want.
For example for the spiral finish machining of the underside I put the Z on the bottom of the part at the center. The tool bit was a 0.375" ball mill cutter.
View attachment 29421
It's possible to have multiple work zero positions depending on what type of machining is desired. This started out as a sandwich of MDF pieces.
View attachment 29423

Looks great, Nice work! Looks like the software you are using has decent capabilities.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Looks great, Nice work! Looks like the software you are using has decent capabilities.
It's been interesting. The down side is the history of Alibre. Started out as Alibre with AlibreCAM provided by MecSoft. Upgraded AlibreCAM to handle 4 axis. Then Alibre was bought by 3D Systems which changed the name to GeomagicCAD and the plugin for CAM and the CAD I licensed using a USB dongle for each.
Then 3D systems sold Geomagic back to the original authors and although AlibreCAM 2019 still worked there were bugs. And the ability to import STL files vanished.

Next thing you know MecSoft and Alibre had some sort of falling out and the MecSoft stand alone CAM software would only import step files; not alibre original drawing files. Which means one tiny change in the drawing design and export the new step file and you have to do the CAM design all over again from scratch.

The claim from Alibre was they never intended to support AlibreCAM (Mecsoft CAM) when they bought it back. Mecsoft claimed Alibre wasn't interested in supporting their plugin. Users were the losers.

Enough complaining though. I'm still using the old AlibreCAM and AlibreCAD and once the support (none really) from Alibre is up they won't get my money.

The up side is AlibreCAD does 3D parametric drawing in way that resonates with the way my brain works. Unfortunately Fusion360, FreeCAD and Mecsoft's VisualCAD do not. I find them difficult and therefore frustrating to use. I try and learn it and end up back at Alibre. Decades ago I gave up on TurboCAD and some of the other popular packages for the same reason.

What I learned from the linked packages where I could flip back and forth editing the CAD and tweaking the CAM, is that how you draw for 3D to 2D drawings (or sheet metal 3D to 2D drawings) is different from how you draw for ultimate CAM usage.

You still get 2D drawings but it ends up being easier to set up the CAM. And for the life of me at the moment I can't think of an example.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
It's been interesting. The down side is the history of Alibre. Started out as Alibre with AlibreCAM provided by MecSoft. Upgraded AlibreCAM to handle 4 axis. Then Alibre was bought by 3D Systems which changed the name to GeomagicCAD and the plugin for CAM and the CAD I licensed using a USB dongle for each.
Then 3D systems sold Geomagic back to the original authors and although AlibreCAM 2019 still worked there were bugs. And the ability to import STL files vanished.

I wonder why they hammered STL file imports, I suppose they can no longer support some translators within the CAD ?

one tiny change in the drawing design and export the new step file and you have to do the CAM design all over again from scratch.
If I design and machine in Mastercam, I can regenerate without too much problem.
However, I would have to generate a new CAM file as well if I make a design change in Solid works and wanted to import it back into Mastercam or Worknc just as you mention above.
CAM is really quick to generate new boundary's and toolpaths, so we are lucky from that standpoint.

The claim from Alibre was they never intended to support AlibreCAM (Mecsoft CAM) when they bought it back. Mecsoft claimed Alibre wasn't interested in supporting their plugin. Users were the losers.
Sounds like ther are many fly by night CAD/CAM systems these days.
Enough complaining though. I'm still using the old AlibreCAM and AlibreCAD and once the support (none really) from Alibre is up they won't get my money.
Can they time lapse your Dongle or disable it ? Hopefully not. If so, you have work arounds... but no updates.
The up side is AlibreCAD does 3D parametric drawing in way that resonates with the way my brain works. Unfortunately Fusion360, FreeCAD and Mecsoft's VisualCAD do not. I find them difficult and therefore frustrating to use. I try and learn it and end up back at Alibre. Decades ago I gave up on TurboCAD and some of the other popular packages for the same reason.
That's great. User friendliness is important once you find a software that works well for you!
What I learned from the linked packages where I could flip back and forth editing the CAD and tweaking the CAM, is that how you draw for 3D to 2D drawings (or sheet metal 3D to 2D drawings) is different from how you draw for ultimate CAM usage.
Sounds like it was or still is a decent software package.

.You still get 2D drawings but it ends up being easier to set up the CAM. And for the life of me at the moment I can't think of an example.
Do you mean setting the origin and moving things around in CAM is easier ?

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
When you programmed your 1 way boxed toolpath. Do you have an option for optimization?

It may not matter with the part you machined, but,
If so, optimization will leave you a much better uniform 3D sidestep finish when travelling in 1 direction.
You won't see a greater sidestep when travelling over rads and dimples.
If you use a .008 sidestep with a 3/8 ball, it will create a 3D optimized toolpath if you happen to try it.
Hope this helps some!

Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I wonder why they hammered STL file imports, I suppose they can no longer support some translators within the CAD.
3D Systems was/is? a 3D printing company. Likely they had the license for the STL import and weren't interested in or asked too much money for it to be in Alibre.
Can they time lapse your Dongle or disable it ? Hopefully not. If so, you have work arounds... but no updates.
I think I may well be able to still use Geomagic with my USB dongles and with the Mecsoft CAM. But then I believe I'm stuck at WIN-7 too.
That's great. User friendliness is important once you find a software that works well for you!

Sounds like it was or still is a decent software package.
Yes it is. I like the way it works. I'm getting better at setting several reference points/lines and then all the other measurements are tied to those parameters. Hence Parametric CAM. Change one dimension and everything else moves 'correctly'. Harder to do than explain but useful.
Do you mean setting the origin and moving things around in CAM is easier ?
Yes. If I understand your question. With the MecSoft CAM you set the machine up and you can rotate any of the axis around any of the others. So a part drawing with say a T Slot on the top can be rotated so say a groove for a lead screw is now on the top.
In both cases the XYZ can be set to the bottom left hand corner or some other reference position.

For example: You clamp down the work lining it up for XY and indicating the left bottom corner.
Mill the T Slots and the perimeter.
Now flip it over, line it up again so it's parallel and square to the ways and indicate the left bottom corner.
In the CAM software since you've flipped the work you've also set the origin to that left bottom corner and now all the CAM works to mill the bottom.

Just a simple example and I don't know how it's done in other systems.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
When you programmed your 1 way boxed toolpath. Do you have an option for optimization?

It may not matter with the part you machined, but,
If so, optimization will leave you a much better uniform 3D sidestep finish when travelling in 1 direction.
You won't see a greater sidestep when travelling over rads and dimples.
If you use a .008 sidestep with a 3/8 ball, it will create a 3D optimized toolpath if you happen to try it.
Hope this helps some!
There's all sorts of optimization and tool path capabilities.
I would continue to pay the yearly support but when they removed support for AlibreCAM I didn't really feel I was getting support. If I used their entire VisualCAD/CAM package I found them to be helpful but I just have issues with the CAD interface.

And on the subject of importing. If you watch the video you will see when they select the outside edge the entire edge is highlighted. Bring in a STP file and it's a large number of segments. Bring it in as an Alibre Part and it allows the entire edge to be highlighted. That's one of the costs of no support for AD_PRT files anymore. In fact no one else imports AD_PRT files. (AlibreCAD parts).

Last edited: