• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Finally got a lathe!

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I haven't went to Metal pros yet I saw they were selling "lots" of cutoffs but I prefer to rummage as well, the prices are crazy. I went a couple of times to MSM in Hamilton last fall and surprisingly we got to rummage in the back and I thought the price for cutoffs was cheaper but I didn't get a receipt last time to compare in Ottawa.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Cleaning up the drops from a company’s cutoff saw is the only way to get a deal these days.
Get to know the fabrication shops in your area.

Some larger metal distributors are selling full lengths - ONLY.

TimDubois

All the distributors I purchased from in the past for work were full length only and minimum $500 or $800 order depending on the company.

I really miss having my coice from the scrap bin at my last posting. The only scrap bin I can rummage through now is a paper shreder haha.

TimDubois

Well I finally got started turning my pieces. Unfortunately I didn't get that far because my boring bar won't fit in a 1/2" hole and since the move I have no idea where my reduced shank twist drill are. I'll have to pick up a drill tomorrow.

On a positive note the accusize tools seem to work very well on aluminum with the ccgt carbides.

20220225_202338.jpg

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
a broken drill bit, a bolt, a few spot welds, and a few licks on the bench grinder will get you going.

TimDubois

I could have ground down an HSS cutter for the smaller boring bar that came with the machine but its Friday night and I have to go to town tomorrow anyway. I've got 4 pieces to bore so it's worth getting a twist drill.

LenVW

Premium Member
Does the CHMW have a supplier database that lists suppliers based on geographical area ?
It might be a handy database to maintain for the membership, especially since the recent shortage of inventory that most outlets are currently experiencing in 2022.

deleted_user

Super User
Does the CHMW have a supplier database that lists suppliers based on geographical area ?
It might be a handy database to maintain for the membership, especially since the recent shortage of inventory that most outlets are currently experiencing in 2022.
This would be excellent part of a broader suppliers directory...

TimDubois

Finally got the first hub turned down. Was slower going than im used to with the colchester I used to have at work but the Atlas performed great.

I got a little chatter on the final pass of the first bearing seat. The carbides don't like taking sub thou cuts apparently. Sorted it out on the second bearing seat by making sure my finish pass and the pass before it were the same DOC.

Everything fits as it should, now I just need to do it again. 20220228_220639.jpg 20220228_220654.jpg 20220228_220733.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm very happy with this DCMT insert on aluminum. You can maybe make out swarf curl off to the side. If I recall this is 0.0005" DOC on the piston crown. I could probably do better if my lathe had finer feed.
I think its a 0.4mm nose radius. Uncoated, extremely sharp, I believe Korloy via Ebay seller. Not expensive. You can also get larger nose radius in the same style & multitude of holders to hold at different orientations.

Attachments

• IMG_2782_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2782_edited-1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2732_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2732_edited-1.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 8

LenVW

Premium Member
Nice work Tim !!
You are correct, the carbide inserts do prefer a healthy depth of cut. Sometimes a little varsol helps to reduce friction.
What are the hubs for ?

TimDubois

The hubs are a custom design of mine for my Terra Jet. It's not really a Terra Jet anymore but it's based off that platform.

The locking hubs are for a K2000 pickup if I remember correctly. I just found a stock locking hub in the overall size I was looking for and designed everything else to fit.

LenVW

Premium Member
Cool little ATVs.
What is the overall weight ?

We live 15kms from the ARGO production plant in New Hamburg, where they make 6-wheel ATVs.
Are there several versions of the TerraJets ?

TimDubois

It weiged in at 880lbs last time I checked but its also not completely done so there's more weight to go on it. It should still be under 1000lbs when it's completed.

The tub is 1/8" 6061 aluminum and the frame 3/16" thick 2 1/2" square tubing.

The terra jets originally came in 3 different styles two were 4x4 of which one had a steel body and the other fiberglass and the last model was a 6x6 beast.

LenVW

Premium Member
The 6x6 Argos were able to travel in calm water because the tires were floatation style and the fibreglass bodies were sealed similar to a small boat.
They had a coordinated steering by driving opposite wheels.

What does the TerraJet have for a motor ?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I got a little chatter on the final pass of the first bearing seat. The carbides don't like taking sub thou cuts apparently. Sorted it out on the second bearing seat
HSS for tight tolerance finish cuts on aluminium. Much sharper for wisp cuts. Toyota hubs?

I'm on the same page as Darren.

Ya, you can make carbide work. But sharp HSS works every time all the time. It's a no brainer. If you have to sneak up on a dimension, why take chances? Just use what you know for sure will work.

TimDubois

The 6x6 Argos were able to travel in calm water because the tires were floatation style and the fibreglass bodies were sealed similar to a small boat.
They had a coordinated steering by driving opposite wheels.

What does the TerraJet have for a motor ?

My Terra Jet has a 16Hp Vanguard V twin at the moment.