• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Figuring out radius differences

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That looks pretty good. The only thing is the torque is being exerted to the adhesive area in shear. I seem to recall about 4000 psi but probably varies by Loctite.
Maybe drill some holes on the split line & bond in some steel dowels as circular section keys?

Attachments

• SNAG-4-18-2022 004.jpg
    SNAG-4-18-2022 004.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 3

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That looks pretty good. The only thing is the torque is being exerted to the adhesive area in shear. I seem to recall about 4000 psi but probably varies by Loctite.
Maybe drill some holes on the split line & bond in some steel dowels as circular section keys?
I didn't really consider that, and I think your suggestion of some dowel/pins would be a good fix for that. However I'm doubting the torque in this application will ever be enough to shear it off as is.
This is small pulley on the end of a die grinder that will be belt driving a spindle for a tool post grinder. It is quite likely the whole project will get scrapped before completion as many of my shop hairbrain ideas do. But I usually learn something in the process fortunately.

Last edited:

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
When I’m sizing components for industrial valves, ISO 5211 12mm double-d shaft will support about 60 Nm / 530 inch-lbs of torque at low rpm

ISO 5210 covers rotating shafts. 12mm would be rated at 20 Nm, 180 in-lbs. 15ft-lbs. I seriously doubt you’re going to have 15ft-lbs at 30,000 rpm. That would need about 85 hp drive.

Clean it spotless, red loctite, use loctite primer if you want belts-and-suspenders quality joint.

Or pins, but I doubt you would need them and going to be tricky to balance for 30K rpm.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I just so happen to be working on todays machining project, the software was up & running LOL
Don't be so modest Peter. You really are fast. I've noticed and said so before. Its impressive.