Tool Faceplate on a chuck?

Tool

Bandit

Super User
Got any of the cast iron lifting weights around? Type that slide on the bar, round, various dai., various thicknesses, a near bored to size hole. Not sure how good the iron is.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Got any of the cast iron lifting weights around? Type that slide on the bar, round, various dai., various thicknesses, a near bored to size hole. Not sure how good the iron is.

Crappy would be a compliment. They are usually full of mystery metal, foundry sand, voids, and other nasty surprises. The problems with them are well documented on the forum.

It's too bad because they could be soooooo useful if that were not the case.

But you never know. Some could be good. If you are willing to risk some tooling, it might be worth a try!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Maybe this is the ‘opportunity’ to learn how to do an inside thread?

Prolly my very next lathe job will be to make some hitch pin extensions that will be inside threaded to match some Category II - 3pt hitch pin studs so I can rest my Ripper on a rolling stand in the barn. It's a 7/8ths thread but would be similar to what you want to do. The primary difference is that yours will be a through hole and mine will be a blind hole. If you decide to do it, I could slow down my project enough to do it with you and take photos to answer any questions you might have....

The stock for my 3pt hitch pin extension project has landed @David_R8. Where are you at on this problem of yours? Want me to wait for you so we can do the threading together or are you all set for now till another problem comes along?

I have hundreds of projects so it's no sweat off my back waiting......

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The stock for my 3pt hitch pin extension project has landed @David_R8. Where are you at on this problem of yours? Want me to wait for you so we can do the threading together or are you all set for now till another problem comes along?
Carry on sir.
Don was kind enough to send me a 1.5x8 tpi threaded adapter that I'll use for my faceplate.
Many thanks!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
OK, will do.

Perhaps I'll take photos anyway cuz inside threading is one of those jobs lots of members sweat about. Then I can always post at a later date when and if they are ever needed.

Post away, I'm interested in seeing what you're up to. My internal threading leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
OK, will do.

Perhaps I'll take photos anyway cuz inside threading is one of those jobs lots of members sweat about. Then I can always post at a later date when and if they are ever needed.
Don't wait..... Post up a thread on inside threading..... A good debate over the merrits of different techniques and set ups keeps things lively around here......

Edit..... My one thumbed approach to typing seems a little bit slow....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Don't wait..... Post up a thread on inside threading..... A good debate over the merrits of different techniques and set ups keeps things lively around here......

Edit..... My one thumbed approach to typing seems a little bit slow....
Post away, I'm interested in seeing what you're up to. My internal threading leaves a lot to be desired.

OK, will do. Prolly cut the threads tomorrow.

But it will take weeks to post cuz my right thumb is prolly not much faster than Don's.......

Not going to entertain any debate on my methods. I decided a long time ago that there are many different ways to gut a deer. But it all boils down to getting the guts out leaving enough meat to eat. My threads are all still cut at 29.5 with HSS. YMMV.

OTOH, maybe this is a good time to sparamint.... It's not a critical job at all. We will see.

Here is a link to the new thread:

Thread 'Inside threading 3/4 Sched 40 Pipe' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/inside-threading-3-4-sched-40-pipe.7998/

OK, will do. Prolly cut the threads tomorrow.

But it will take weeks to post cuz my right thumb is prolly not much faster than Don's.......

Not going to entertain any debate on my methods. I decided a long time ago that there are many different ways to gut a deer. But it all boils down to getting the guts out leaving enough meat to eat. My threads are all still cut at 29.5 with HSS. YMMV.

OTOH, maybe this is a good time to sparamint.... It's not a critical job at all. We will see.

Here is a link to the new thread:

Thread 'Inside threading 3/4 Sched 40 Pipe' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/inside-threading-3-4-sched-40-pipe.7998/
We're probably a little bit too old and stubborn to accept much change, opening things up for debate and discussion is more for the youngun's that are just coming up......;)In case they want to learn by our misfortunes rather than there own....... Hmmmm, now where have I heard that expression before? Dang, it does sound familiar.....:oops::rolleyes:

I believe both Shars and Accusize sell plates with your thread or check on Amazon.

The bad portion of mounting a plate this way (in a chuck) is it needs to be zeroed each time it used.