Tool Faceplate on a chuck?

Tool

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I would like to make a faceplate for the Clausing. I have some 1/2" plate which would make a decent plate. The part I'm considering is making some mounts to screw it to the jaws of my Bison chuck.
Is this a completely crazy idea?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't think it's crazy at all. Lots of guys chuck chucks in their chucks. (no wood chucking.....) so why not a face plate too? I got some small chucks from a member that I use all the time in my bigger chucks.

I'm not sure that I would be comfortable hanging the faceplate plus whatever awkward thing that wouldn't fit in the chuck that far out.
What spindle mount does it have? I would be more inclined to try and replicate that and make it a two piece affair if required.
Those are my thoughts, probably only worth 1/3 the going rate however......

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm not sure that I would be comfortable hanging the faceplate plus whatever awkward thing that wouldn't fit in the chuck that far out.
What spindle mount does it have? I would be more inclined to try and replicate that and make it a two piece affair if required.
Those are my thoughts, probably only worth 1/3 the going rate however......
This is a good point.
My lathe has a 1.5 x 8 TPI spindle.
Maybe this is the ‘opportunity’ to learn how to do an inside thread?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Are you thinking about machining a hub to match spindle then permanently attaching plate disc, then turning assembly true in-situ? Or is that just how I might do it? LOL
Depending on your spindle & other factors, doing it all in one shot might require a different approach. You probably have seen faceplates but give some consideration to how you want to mount things, either the classic slots or maybe a gridded tooling plate concept.

Attachments

• IMG_5536_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5536_edited-1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5538_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5538_edited-1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5545_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5545_edited-1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3441_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_3441_edited-1.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 5

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Are you maybe thinking bigger chuck in a smaller one? I wouldn't do that either.

I was thinking smaller chuck mounted in a bigger one to hold smaller stuff that can't be held in a big chuck very well.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Are you thinking about machining a hub to match spindle then permanently attaching plate disc, then turning assembly true in-situ? Or is that just how I might do it? LOL
Depending on your spindle & other factors, doing it all in one shot might require a different approach. You probably have seen faceplates but give some consideration to how you want to mount things, either the classic slots or maybe a gridded tooling plate concept.
I like the looks of that!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My lathe has a 1.5 x 8 TPI spindle.
You answered while I was still typing. You might be able to source a chuck adapter already nicely threaded to act as a hub, then that just leaves you to permanently mount your disc & turn it in-situ. That's kind of what was driving at.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Also just to confirm, when some guys say face plate, they might be intending its use as what is better referred to as a drive plate, which has dedicated slot or pin provision for acting on the dog leg for turning between centers. Some people insert the dog into face plate slots, but its arguably more appropriate to use face plate slots more how like conventional T-slots are used, to hold parts & fixtures. You don't see drive plates much these days but I suspect I will be making one for next project, harvesting a D1-4 chuck adapter similar to what I described.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
You answered while I was still typing. You might be able to source a chuck adapter already nicely threaded to act as a hub, then that just leaves you to permanently mount your disc & turn it in-situ. That's kind of what was driving at.
I’ve seen chuck adaptors for wood lathes so I’ll do some investigating that direction.
No matter what it’s will be a two-piece affair; hub and then a plate welded to the hub and machines in situ.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Also just to confirm, when some guys say face plate, they might be intending its use as what is better referred to as a drive plate, which has dedicated slot or pin provision for acting on the dog leg for turning between centers. Some people insert the dog into face plate slots, but its arguably more appropriate to use face plate slots more how like conventional T-slots are used, to hold parts & fixtures. You don't see drive plates much these days but I suspect I will be making one for next project, harvesting a D1-4 chuck adapter similar to what I described.
My lathe came with a drive plate fortunately.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
No matter what it’s will be a two-piece affair; hub and then a plate welded to the hub and machines in situ.

Why two piece? I got a 1.5X8 drive plate on Ebay, I'm sure there are face plates out there as well.

@140mower Anything in your Southbend stash?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Prolly my very next lathe job will be to make some hitch pin extensions that will be inside threaded to match some Category II - 3pt hitch pin studs so I can rest my Ripper on a rolling stand in the barn. It's a 7/8ths thread but would be similar to what you want to do. The primary difference is that yours will be a through hole and mine will be a blind hole. If you decide to do it, I could slow down my project enough to do it with you and take photos to answer any questions you might have....

Are you maybe thinking bigger chuck in a smaller one? I wouldn't do that either.

I was thinking smaller chuck mounted in a bigger one to hold smaller stuff that can't be held in a big chuck very well.
Yup, I was thinking about the idea of removing the top jaws and bolting on a full size face plate to the lower jaws...... That gets to be quite a bit of weight on its own before adding the work piece and the additional overhang... (My mind's eye has a cast iron 8 hp Kohler engine block spinning around a long boring bar)