• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

expired propane bottle ?

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Maybe a bit OT;
Anyone in Calgary got an expired propane bottle (20 or 25 lb whatever they are) they want to get rid of ?
Not for propane use, I'm wanting to cut one in half to make a lead smelting pot.
TIA
Howard

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I have this....

TankTop.JPG

It's the top half of the 20 pounder that I made my lead melting pot from. Another option is just go cruise some back alleys, I'm sure you'll find one LOL. I'll keep an eye open for one.

5.JPG

I can lend you my pot and burner if you're just doing occasional melts. I think I've used it twice in the 5 years I've had it.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Look on market place, i have seen guys asking 10$ for an old one

Or go to one of the fire dept's with the recycle/oil waste/etc thing, they have an old propane tank drop off

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I have a couple of old air compress tanks (portable ones), I could part with one.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I have 1 in my pile of not to be thrown away stuff. I even have the valve removed for you. Let me know if you want it. I’m in the SW, south of the reservoir.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I have 1 in my pile of not to be thrown away stuff. I even have the valve removed for you. Let me know if you want it. I’m in the SW, south of the reservoir.

How the heck did you get the valve off???

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Craig had already cut one in half, I got the top half he didn't use.
I've done it before though - un-screwed the valve on top (empty it first), washed / rinsed it out with soapy water then cut with angle grinder / zip disc.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
I dropped off some used motor oil awhile ago - and now that you mention it, yes there probably was one or more there.
When I was there, there (behind a Fire Dept. building), there was no one to be seen and I doubt any one would have a problem with some one "re-purposing" a propane bottle.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks there was a bad accident at one of the high schools here a few years ago students were cutting an oil drum unsupervised before classes started and there was an explosion and one student died and others were injured so it makes me cautious about doing it but I do want to have a little setup one day to do some melting.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Yes, I remember that ! Wasn't it something crazy like Peppermint oil in the drums ? Who would have thought Peppermint oil could explode ?
Yes, makes me a bit nervous too, must admit, I've refused to weld on someone else's old rusty gas tank. With proper precautions it can be done though.