• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

ER40 collet chuck

Jswain

Joe
The tpi threads that you tested and measured, some being more then an inch and some being less...how does that correlate with the lever selection on the quick change gear box?

For some to be larger and some smaller two(or more?) Gears must be flipped?

Can you see the internals at all?

I guess what I mean is if it's the 86/91 reversed then the outcome would always be smaller or larger and not back and forth. But if you correlate say always larger when using A and smaller in B then good chance those gears are reversed?

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
As you bought it new, I think the dealer needs to prove to you that the machine works properly. Does the dealer have some one staff that can come out and demonstrate how to thread on that lathe? I ask this with a bit of sarcasm since some tool stores that sell lathes don't know how to run them.

If you can get the machinist to try it before going to the dealer that will either source out a procedural issue or give you ammo to fire at King.

I ask this with a bit of sarcasm since some tool stores that sell lathes don't know how to run them.
I was in one of the tool stores in Kamloops a few years ago and was asking about buying a new 7" wheel for my bench grinder. The salesman looks at me and says that it's an odd size and he didn't stock them and had no interest in getting me one as he didn't know me and didn't want to get stuck with it if I didn't come back. I mentioned that he probably should bring in at least one; boy, did I get a quick lesson in business and inventory...... Through this whole exchange, I have my hand resting on a dusty 7" Baldor grinder with no stones, when he was done, I said, "nice grinder, too bad you can't get stones for it" and headed for the door.... He tried his best to bring me back and order that stone, I just flipped him the bird over my shoulder....... Didn't need one that bad... Haven't even looked to see if they are still in business since....

Brian H

Super User
As you bought it new, I think the dealer needs to prove to you that the machine works properly. Does the dealer have some one staff that can come out and demonstrate how to thread on that lathe? I ask this with a bit of sarcasm since some tool stores that sell lathes don't know how to run them.

If you can get the machinist to try it before going to the dealer that will either source out a procedural issue or give you ammo to fire at King.
Although the staff at the dealer are great guys, they are not machinists, nor are they super familiar with the tools (other than the factory supplied information). The guy I have been dealing with is going to go up the chain of command to see what suggestions they have. I am anticipating this to be a bit of an arduous journey...

Brian H

Super User
I was in one of the tool stores in Kamloops a few years ago and was asking about buying a new 7" wheel for my bench grinder. The salesman looks at me and says that it's an odd size and he didn't stock them and had no interest in getting me one as he didn't know me and didn't want to get stuck with it if I didn't come back. I mentioned that he probably should bring in at least one; boy, did I get a quick lesson in business and inventory...... Through this whole exchange, I have my hand resting on a dusty 7" Baldor grinder with no stones, when he was done, I said, "nice grinder, too bad you can't get stones for it" and headed for the door.... He tried his best to bring me back and order that stone, I just flipped him the bird over my shoulder....... Didn't need one that bad... Haven't even looked to see if they are still in business since....
This has, unfortunately, become a trend. I think its a combination of internet shopping, lack of sales staff training and customer service going the way of the do-do bird in most retail stores. In my experience, in the establishments that have even a reasonable amount of sales knowledge and customer service, customers will go out of their way to buy there.