• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Enterprise 1550 Rebuild

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
:cool: Do a little ORANGE :cool:
Then tape some more for final colour

Attachments

• 20201102_143500.jpg
    20201102_143500.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20201103_153139.jpg
    20201103_153139.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20201102_143513.jpg
    20201102_143513.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20201103_153143.jpg
    20201103_153143.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 17

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
Well this is the last pics. Put the last colour on and now I wait for parts plus Christmas and family coming. Still lots of assembly so hopefully I will have some pictures of it running by late spring.

Attachments

• 20201104_124836.jpg
    20201104_124836.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20201103_153226.jpg
    20201103_153226.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20201104_122938.jpg
    20201104_122938.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201104_122926.jpg
    20201104_122926.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20201104_122912.jpg
    20201104_122912.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 25

Chipper5783

Looks good. ModernTool sold a lot of those. I've had my 1550 since 1983 (I really like it). It has been a great machine (the small spindle bore is the only issue I have to complain about). I posted in the above refenced thread on PM (I also posted a manual and product brochure - either on PM or HM). Once you get everything sorted I'm sure you will enjoy the machine.

Let us know when you start making chips. David

Chipper5783

I must say Randy, that you sure can progress quickly. I've been cleaning up a Huron mill (the smallest one they offered - still a sizeable chunk) - after a month I still have not got it to the point that I can power it (probably another month).

What condition are your aluminum indicator plates? On most of the Enterprise machines I have seen the plates are in poor condition. Mine have never been beaten up, yet they are getting pretty faded. David

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
The plates are in fair condition except for some nicks and wear around the edges and handles. I’ve been looking at obtaining an engraver to redo plates. I would like to redo my Dad’s old Martin which I’ll start after I finish this one. Also have a Czechoslovakian lathe I picked up to fix up and sell so I would really like to do this but still learning the best machines and programs for this plus would it pay for itself doing this for others. I priced out having it done and it ranged between $600 and $1000us for one of the larger plates. Right now I’m on idle with Christmas and takes a lot of heat in shop to do decent work.

Chipper5783

Fixing machines to sell seems like a tough gig. I've picked up several "boat anchors" for cheap. I think I have done real well at bringing them back to life - however with the time and effort I've put into them (time that I really enjoy), I'd be lucky to make $5/hour. I'm working on a "baby" Huron mill right now. In good knick it is a very nice machine (back in the day it was a very expensive machine). That was then, this is now. At the moment it is just scrap metal. I'll probably spend a couple hundred hours disassembling, cleaning, fixing, making tools, making parts - if I'm really lucky there will be nothing truly wrong with it (the main issue seems to be that it sat outside some - got rained on). Then I'll have yet another mill that doesn't do anything that my other mills can't do, takes up quite a bit of space, does not have any of its' own tooling (though common to my Cinci), will be hard to sell on (#8000, 575V, 3 phase) - but is really cool.

On the pricing for your indicator plates - it that with you doing the graphics? I though there were places around that would generate the plate fairly cheap, so long as the file was ready to go? Some of the guys on Hobby Machinist seem to have it figured out.

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
They said it would be cheaper if I did the graphics but by how much I’m not sure. The lathe I might fix up was cheaper than the scrap price so if I change my mind. . . I hear you though it’s a love interest not a get rich enterprise. I just have a hard time seeing a once functioning piece of machinery going for scrap. At worst I thought I could strip it down and perhaps cut the bed which sits on 3 massive legs and make a great work or welding bench .

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
Very nice. I feel the fastest results appear to be a diamond drag, having said that, for me, the chemical etch may be the route I take for now as my wife has a high end vinyl cutter that does very fine detail. It can cut the masking material used in etching. But this guy took it to another level and doesn’t explain anything.

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
This is one site using the diamond drag. If you powder coat first you could get some nice effects.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Sailor Chris of Clickspring took a hiatus from narrating his videos to concentrate on other things. He explains some of it in a previous video that the clip was taken from. He's back now as I hilighted in the Links section.

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
Thanks Dabbler, very kind. I was just reading the process that Peter T sent from garage journal and the price is very reasonable. Just watched the Clickspring one with narration and I’m impressed. I need to make a list of materials and see how available these chemicals and waxes are here. Thanks again. I really like this site and the willingness to share. That only comes with self confidence and a desire to be life long learners.

Last edited:

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
I watched the Clickspring several times and made a list of stuff. Most of it I can find on Amazon. The slivering products are from the UK and very pricey. I also watched another fellow that was the source for Clickspring’s video. He does the lettering with different material and didn’t appear to bother with the slivering, finishing only with a coat of lacquer. Now I just need to remove my plates and start to copy them. Is there a way that I could photocopy them and turn that into a vector file?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I watched the Clickspring several times and made a list of stuff. Most of it I can find on Amazon. The slivering products are from the UK and very pricey. I also watched another fellow that was the source for Clickspring’s video. He does the lettering with different material and didn’t appear to bother with the slivering, finishing only with a coat of lacquer. Now I just need to remove my plates and start to copy them. Is there a way that I could photocopy them and turn that into a vector file?

Scan them with a scanner, import picture to cad, and then trace the scanned photo with line tools. That might be onerous if there is too much detail. There are ways of turning pictures into vectors with various drawing tools. I can’t make any specific suggestions though. Adobe had software for this but it’s been an age since I looked at it.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
From my experience the 1-step direct scan to vector file conversions don't work too well in detail applications. Too much noise in the scan, distortion, aspect ratio. As Janger suggests importing it into a cad/drawing app & using that as a high resolution guide (ie human drawing over top) is a better cleaner result. But a lot more labour intensive depending on the detail & how authentic you want to replicate lines & font. I think that's why the 'decal' method gets employed. Its more like a high res picture but might be good enough to fool the eye. More like a picture of the original, no vector behind the scenes. But vector is required for any kind of machine cutting/engarving.