• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Enterprise 1550 Rebuild

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
I’m thinking I may not need vector just the correct dimensions. On the larger plate there is just too much to trace or start from scratch. I really don’t need to change the size and the largest plate is about 10” x 8”, lots of detail. This would after cleaning up scratches etc. be printed onto overhead, clear, projector plastic. I think I would print in the negative as I want the lettering to etch not the background.

Chipper5783

I made a new speed indicator plate for my Maho mill, with an approach similar to what you were thinking / PeterT suggested. The original plate had black lines and number on a silver back ground, then colours for different options - in my zeal for cleaning I washed the colour off (the lines were not effected). I had taken pictures first, so I knew what it needed to look like. I scanned the plate, and imported the image into MS paint, then I repaired all the lines, then I "poured" in colour (which in MS paint fills only the bound region). I printed many copies to get the colours as close as possible. Finally I printed onto a sheet of mostly transparent Avery label material. I made a new aluminum plate. The result was great (now I'm thinking the feed indicator plate - that is original - needs to be renewed, it looks sort of shabby!).

The first picture is the plate prior to me "cleaning" it, then the "cleaned" plate, finally pictures of after and before on the machine.

Attachments

• DSC02315.JPG
    DSC02315.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC02316.JPG
    DSC02316.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC02653.JPG
    DSC02653.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC02236.JPG
    DSC02236.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 20

Chipper5783

What plates are you looking at redoing? For the feedbox, you may not need to make the entire plate - most of it is blank, and it is mostly just information (a data table).

Attachments

• DSCF2388.JPG
    DSCF2388.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF5894.JPG
    DSCF5894.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 22

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
Oh man that looks amazing. Did you etch it and how would you get the different colours?

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
Probably all of them just to make it look good. I was thinking of doing it on brass with black lettering, less chance for scratching background paint off. I have to ask you as well what the gauge is and the two buttons beside the emergency stop. Mine were both broken or missing. I suspect one, because of the wiring, appears to be a motor reverse and the second an override for safety guard.

Last edited:

Chipper5783

I printed on a "semi-transparent" label (cruised the label shelf at Staples). I used the printer at work in colour mode (it is a good enough printer, but not really anything super special). The image was just a .jpg or a .tif (I don't recall - it doesn't really matter, it is just an image).

Chipper5783

Most of these small Enterprise lathes that I have seen, pretty well all have indicator plates that are hard to read. My indicator plates are pretty well pristine - since the lathe was very nearly new when I bought it in 1983. I've always been a home shop guy, and there have been years at a time when the lathe was not used at all. In otherwords, mostly one owner, never worked hard and babied. Still the plates are deteriorating - the threading dial is nearly impossible to read. Whatever technology they used for marking the plates was not very durable.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You did a really nice job Chipper5783.
Actually the graphic type software is probably more suited to the task because it has tools for lines, fonts, fill colors. I think I know the adhesive product you are referring to. You can load sheets into color printers, print the image, peel & stick. I think the sign making people have upscale materials for exactly this task. I've seen color or white vinyl background or B&W on clear which looks like what you did on the buffed metal surface?

Hacker

Super User
Some missing or broken switches. If anyone has a source for these I would appreciate it.
Most switches are of the cookie cutter/Lego variety. Check how they are configured on the back as was mentioned PA has some or DigiKey has much better selection if you have something that is not generic, but they are pricey. Good luck with the restoration.

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
Well everything was going so well you know it can’t last. Started back on the lathe putting stuff together and back on yesterday and today. All the slides were moving so nice until the apron stopped but the handle kept moving. I sheared a pin on one of the gears?? One of the few pins or bolts I didn’t replace. So the picture is my triumphant celebratory pic of a great day. It’s apart again and the gear has turned on the shaft so having a terrible time finding the hole. I quit, maybe I’ll drill half out so I can turn the shaft and see the hole. Darn

Attachments

• 8D4A71E8-089E-4B47-998A-9985F0D34C5A.jpeg
    8D4A71E8-089E-4B47-998A-9985F0D34C5A.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 19
  • 62473E9D-7F6B-4A32-B985-C4FC9B6BC4A9.jpeg
    62473E9D-7F6B-4A32-B985-C4FC9B6BC4A9.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 19

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
I got that pin out, had to drill. Must have sharpened that bit 6 or 7 times so it stayed true. It took quite awhile . Drilled the first half then located the hole and still had to drill till I was through shaft. As you can see in photo lots of fillings to clean out, think I’ll flush it.

Ended up taking the bottom off apron and flushing. Need to cut another gasket and get a new pin for gear.

Attachments

• 3E9524A7-279D-4D72-AFDB-7E7AEEA09786.jpeg
    3E9524A7-279D-4D72-AFDB-7E7AEEA09786.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
I think it started with a little paint settling around the forward/reverse bar. I thought I had cleaned everything but must have missed some. Anyways the pin must have been ready to fail since I wasn’t overly forceful. After getting the pin out I put a temporary pin in and it still wouldn’t move till I cleaned around bar.