• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Engraving steel

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Oh wow Frank, my dad had a very similar set. And as a kid when I got to go out on the road with him (he built roads in AB) I could stamp to my heart’s content in the portable office that we dragged around behind one of the dump trucks.
Those are some really fond memories. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey David My dad & I spent most of our lives building roads in Ab. maybe we crossed paths with your father or you somewhere along the line. "Dump truck" suggests maybe paving? I paved Ab hi-ways for most of 20 yrs. ....What was the name on the truck door if you dont mind???

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey David My dad & I spent most of our lives building roads in Ab. maybe we crossed paths with your father or you somewhere along the line. "Dump truck" suggests maybe paving? I paved Ab hi-ways for most of 20 yrs. ....What was the name on the truck door if you dont mind???

This was circa 1968-75 or so. He worked for the Ministry of Transportation and for the last few years seemed to always have the same group of guys working with him. He worked the full length and breadth of the province.
Did a bunch out in the Drumheller, Hanna, Oyen, Hand Hills areas.
For the last few years he ‘regravelled’ secondary roads sometimes as prep for base course as he called it.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I remember getting the rubber stamp kit for Xmas. In art class back in school we used linoleum tiles as they are easy to carve out for letters or artwork.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I also have this that I picked up in a used tool shop that didn’t survive COVID.
It has a 1 1/4“ pencil with a copper rod for a tip to write with the other terminal is the ground.
1616443715317.jpg

Johnwa

Ultra Member
40 pt turned out much better. I think the 20 pt would be doable with the right bit and really close grained wood. The stock spindle tops out at 10k rpm. I think a higher speed would help.

Attachments

• E469A483-2E6E-4EB3-BE80-A9658BB86BFF.jpeg
    E469A483-2E6E-4EB3-BE80-A9658BB86BFF.jpeg
    375.4 KB · Views: 7

historicalarms

Ultra Member
This was circa 1968-75 or so. He worked for the Ministry of Transportation and for the last few years seemed to always have the same group of guys working with him. He worked the full length and breadth of the province.
Did a bunch out in the Drumheller, Hanna, Oyen, Hand Hills areas.
For the last few years he ‘regravelled’ secondary roads sometimes as prep for base course as he called it.

I didn't start my "construction trucking " career until the mid 80's so probably never met your father but I bet I did know some of the old-timers from that area that did . I also did a lot of work around Drum-Handhills-Hanna area. Gravel base course & paving secondary hi-ways was our "bread & butter" .

thriller007

Prior to COVID I picked up a little 3018 CNC router off Facebook. Other than playing wit CNC I wanted to mill my own circuit boards. There is an active Facebook page for the 3018s. Yesterday someone asked if it could engrave steel. One of the responses was “not a chance” so........
So what was your trick to be able to engrave steel?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
IIRC I made about 3 passes at relatively slow feed rates. Candle has a built in height mapping option that I used to make sure I was getting an even cut.