• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Easy End Mill Sharpening Jig Project

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Does it do a near factory job ? Looks good

Not even close. It only sharpens the primary/secondary angled portions of the end face, does nothing to the flutes. But I will say having it quadrupled the life I get out of my end mills. It will handle 1/4"-1" endmills and two flute are the easiest to sharpen. Four flute are a little picky to do.

Last edited:
You can also use your mill to sharpen them, with better results as it is more controllable, using similar fixtures. Basically you are converting you mill into a precision grinder. No I have not personally tried it.

Fixtures for surface grinders (if you gave the grinder)

Denkle Clone (I have a Shars one as it uses 5c collets), still learning. Does Flutes and leading edge, center cut, can but still figuring that out.

True purpose built grinders.

Journeyman Grinder.

Final true dedicated CNC grinder regrinders if you have the budget (ie win the lotto).

Important thing to remember HSS regular grinding wheels, Carbide, diamond wheels a must.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the information. I am wondering about touching up the flutes on side of the end mill. If that makes sense.

djberta

Premium Member
Hey Craig are you still using the sharpening jig? How has it worked for you? This is a project I might bump up on my list, as I am moving I'm finding more of my squirreled away end mills and drill bits that need sharpening.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hey Craig are you still using the sharpening jig? How has it worked for you? This is a project I might bump up on my list, as I am moving I'm finding more of my squirreled away end mills and drill bits that need sharpening.

I think it's worth building. I have quite a few endmills I use that are on their 3rd or 4th re-sharpening.

Last edited:

justin1

Super User
Weldon makes a endmill sharping fixture for surface grinder but probly could be set up for use with dremel or bench grinder. There not overly expensive I bought one bit ago but haven't used it yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240612-144332.png
    Screenshot_20240612-144332.png
    683.7 KB · Views: 3

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Weldon makes a endmill sharping fixture for surface grinder but probly could be set up for use with dremel or bench grinder. There not overly expensive I bought one bit ago but haven't used it yet.

Looks very interesting. The real deals are too much money for how often I'd use it. This one is still way too much coin. But at least I can see the makings of a home made unit that could do the basics.

But first I have to learn to sharpen drill bits......

Tom O

Ultra Member
I have the top part of that but no collets or base. Looking at that base I’m not sure how it’s adjusted.

IMAG0091.jpeg

IMAG0090.jpeg

I would think it would need a fine feed but I can’t see one on the eBay one.
IMG_1183.png
IMG_1181.png

justin1

Super User
Neat didn't know there was sine plate for that, mine is bit different model then the one shown. But they both use the air spindle so maybe the sine plate is universal?