• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Email notifications still broken?

trlvn

Ultra Member
Another user and I are attempting to have a conversation via PM but apparently email notifications are not being sent? I just checked my Preferences and the box is ticked for "Receive email when a new conversation message is received".

Is this a known problem or is it working for others?

BTW, what was it that caused the big outage? Was this posted somewhere and I missed it?

Craig

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
My email notifications seem to be working but after the Crash of '23 I went in and turned them all off, saved, then turned them all on again and saved once more.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Another user and I are attempting to have a conversation via PM but apparently email notifications are not being sent? I just checked my Preferences and the box is ticked for "Receive email when a new conversation message is received".

Is this a known problem or is it working for others?

BTW, what was it that caused the big outage? Was this posted somewhere and I missed it?

Craig

I did what @David_R8 did.

No post yet from @Jwest7788 on what happened. I know he drafted something but he has other priorities.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
The issue is likely tied to folks hitting the "Reply" button on the emails they are receiving, instead of coming to the forum to reply.

In checking the inbox , I can see several people replying to a no-reply email address, the email which sends the email notification.

This both confirms that the notification emails are sending correctly, and identifies the likely issue. (human error, as is sometimes the case)

If anyone received an error message in their email in any way, I would be keen to hear though!

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Thanks Josh for all your hard work.

As for Moderator's, David_R8 and Susquatch needs be added, you heard that before. LOL

Last edited:

trlvn

Ultra Member
The issue is likely tied to folks hitting the "Reply" button on the emails they are receiving, instead of coming to the forum to reply.

In checking the inbox , I can see several people replying to a no-reply email address, the email which sends the email notification.

This both confirms that the notification emails are sending correctly, and identifies the likely issue. (human error, as is sometimes the case)

If anyone received an error message in their email in any way, I would be keen to hear though!
That may have affected some people but that wasn't the problem I was having. Another user sent me a couple of private messages via the site. He was keen to purchase some parts I had. I never received notification that there were new PM's waiting for me. I only visit the forum once a day, normally, and thus wasn't aware of the other user's attempts. We took the conversation to email and, shortly after, I sent him the parts he was desperate for.

This lack of emails appears to be a new thing. I've had conversations via PM a few times in the past and always received email notifications promptly.

I am still not receiving email notifications of new replies to threads I'm following. David suggested turning notifications off and back on. I haven't bothered; usually there is nothing there that can't wait until the next time I'm ready to visit the forum.

Craig

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I think the issue is with email notifications going to addresses which fail, triggering server-side anti-spam protections.

Just testing some potential solutions here:

1) Reducing the quantity of "daily summary" emails sent at a time, to avoid flooding the outbox, so to speak.
2) Going to see if people replying to notifications is related by temporarily removing the post/message content from the notification itself, forcing a website visit to see the notification. (Again, temporary while testing)
3) Trying to integrate a smarter mail system (sendgrid)

Any of these might make the issue worse while testing, fair warning.