• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Edmonton- Small lathe/milling work; Advice, insight, recommendation?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice job John. I was going to forewarn about using mics & calipers around strong magnets (ask me how I know). I didnt even think about it, just grabbed the instrument out of habit. But it caused me some head scratching grief for following weeks until I figured out why. The jaws had become mildly magnetized & kept picking up micro swarf on the anvil surface & thus screwing up measurements. I have a cheapo demagnetizer for screwdrivers but it wasn't very effective. Maybe because of the orientation or the alloy, not sure. Fortunately the tools reverted back to become un-magnetic again, but for a while there I was eyeballing the possibility of one of those plug in electric de-maggers.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Yeah I never thought of that until it was too late. Luckily I didn't use my best caliper. Hopefully it doesn't attract too much scarf and contaminate the rack and pinion.