• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Edmonton Meet ups & local info

Brian G

Greetings Edmonton chip-makers! I have recently begun the pursuit of machining in support of my unrepentant automotive modification hobby.

I am interested in sharing information, experience, and expertise with other similar hobby machinists in the Greater Edmonton area.

I have only recently acquired my machining equipment, so I am also on the lookout for tooling and material.

Post up your location and interests here and lets share.

EricB

Hey, I'm in Avonmore here in Edmonton. I wrote about myself in the intro area, but I'm a machinist and enjoy TIG welding and motorcycles. I'd be up for some Edmonton meets at some point. Any photos of the stuff you've done so far? Let's see your shop!

-Eric

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hey guys, I had alot of success posting kijiji ads to promote the meetup. Something for you to consider!

JW

EricB

Kijiji is how I found this site. [emoji14] while looking for a lathe.

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

SLC_FAB

This site is a good way to network with people, I don't know a lot of people that have similar likes but a meet up would be cool

John Conroy

Premium Member
If any of you Edmonton members need the use of a mill, lathe or bandsaw you are welcome to come over and use mine. I live in St. Albert.

Cheers,

John

SLC_FAB

If any of you Edmonton members need the use of a mill, lathe or bandsaw you are welcome to come over and use mine. I live in St. Albert.

Cheers,

John
I just might take you up on that John, my lathe can't handle some ferrous steels. It's more of an aluminum machine. I'm over by castledowns.

Stephan

John Conroy

Premium Member
I turn lots of stainless and CRS and the CanTek works great with those. Let me know when you'd like to use it.

EricB

That's super-nice of you, John! I'm lucky enough to be able to use the machines at work on days off when I need to, but I'd love to come by and see your set-up sometime. Maybe when Stephan needs to machine something we can all meet up for a coffee. Cheers!

-Eric

ruzter

Darrel here in Sherwood Park. I have a lathe but also a friend with the machine job :). I like the metal work for motorcyclesand whatever else it is all cool. I love the look of aluminum that I polished myself. I'm interested in good sources of metal because I am cheap :). i'm interested to see other peoples projects and techniques and especially where you source of your stuff locally. I am also looking to get into metal etching, build a bead roller and a slip roller. If only for the time.

EricB

Hey @ruzter sounds like you have some really cool projects coming up, keep us posted! What kind of lathe do you have?

-Eric

Brian G

I'm in the process of finishing off the garage/shop renovation that I started in the fall, while also taking the NAIT evening machinist intro courses. When the garage is done, I'll have a heated and insulated work space for the machines, and when I'm finished this program I'll have a better skill-set with which to utilize those machines.
Phil Stagg is the NAIT instructor for this program, and he's a fantastic instructor and a decent guy. I recommend the program highly for novices interested in machining as a hobby or as a career.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Brian, I've thought of taking that course too but can never seem to find the right time when my evenings will be free for a while. I'd be interested in hearing what is covered etc.

EricB

Just going to tag @skogg in here, since he's new to the site and from Edmonton.

I'd be able to meet up sometime this weekend if anyone's interested in grabbing a coffee or a beer.

Edit: Also, I haven't taken the intro to machining, but I'll be going into my 4th year of the machining program in January, and I will say that most of the instructors really know their stuff. Also, since they won't be bound by apprenticeship BS (having to teach for the tests and using crappy modules) I bet it would be a great course.

Last edited:

Brian G

This NAIT program is module based, but it's not test oriented, so Phil uses some discretion on what he chooses to emphasise. For instance, on the lathe, we can all hit a diameter to +/- 0.002" now, and I can hit it to 0.0005" consistently, by using a Phil-trick he taught us.

It's a 4 course program with Mech 101/105 (hand tools/lathe) in the fall, and 111/115 (mill/threading) after New Year.

The class is a fun mix of youngsters and old farts, being taught by an irreverent Newfie. Good times!

And Eric, give Len Runzer some grief and tell him it's from me

EricB

Haha I don't trust most of the Journeymen I've worked with to hold a +/- 0.002" tolerance on a manual! (Sadly I'm honestly not joking, they usually can't even do it on an NC) You may have to show me this Phil-trick. :p So far in my apprenticeship I've had Dan Foley, Chris Woods, and Ralph Tarnasky for second year, and Randy Duke, Michael Krauthahn, and Peter Ruddy for third year. (Challenged first year) So I'm not sure who Phil and Len are, but if I meet Len I'll do my best for you. ;)