• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool Dumore #44

Tool

Whiskers31

Premium Member
I believe I have that same Du More kit. If I remember right I think mine is a one half horse I haven’t used it for a while it’s still out in the box sleeping. If I can help you with information just let me know

That is too bad...... But at least you recognized that it wasn't going to work, me on the other hand.... not so much. Lol

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Well, I just quickly went over the unit. I should have titled this post Caveat Emptor!!
I'm a little disappointed. The bearings and motor feel and sound good, but the unit comes with 5 pulleys for speed changes. Two of them have been modified, and made useless. The chuck assembly for mounted stones, and small wheel arbor, have been modified and made useless. The belt guard assembly is missing. The wheel guard seems to have been modified and the wheel guard face plate is missing. I was so excited at finding this I didn't do my due diligence research. So checking the Dumore site, to replace all those parts will run me $677.00US, not including shipping, and taxes. Oh well, it is what it is.

Can you make whatever parts need replacing? For me, that's too much spend not knowing how it'll run - smooth bearings tested by hand doesn't mean they won't screech like a Banshee at speed. The radius of the crown doesn't much matter and is easily done with a bunch of X/Z movements (to a calculated table) on the lathe followed up with a file. One I did is shown below, for Schaublin drive. I used excel to come up with the X/Z steps, about 4 thou spacing iiir, then file.

As for balance, if done off the motor, static ought to be good enough...set up some knife edges. If the OEM was done dynamically on the the shaft, buying replacements wouldn't fix things.

Or just use it/try it? Seeing those pulleys I wonder if its a (misguided) mod to fit a link belt? That might explain the pattern on the crowned pulley. if ao, maybe it'll work well as is?

1648298789733.jpeg

Last edited: