• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DRO install on a LC-30A mill (RF-30 clone)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I like the golf ball knob, did it come that way?

What are the two large screws behind the DRO display?

Yes it came with the golf ball handles. I only use one of them.
[mention]Marc Moreau [/mention] is correct, it’s a shop vac hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just some points I discovered along the way installing my DRO.

A simple & useful feature to include on DRO mounting plates is for example 4 tapped holes on each corner of the plate. You install a set screw or cap screw into each hole & this allows you to micro-tweak the in/out/planar alignment, which in turn brings can bring the mounted encoder head into alignment once you have the indicator set up & just tightening things up. This pays off especially if you have irregular casting surface. Some guys grind the paint off the machine so its metal to metal but you can make that decision for yourself. Maybe a drop of blue Loctite on the threads so they stay put under vibration but are re-settable if in the future necessary.

Another aspect is to ensure you have it running with no bow or flex to the scale. Sometimes its possible to have 'alignment' but with some small amount of tension on the encoder/scale. Most DRO systems don't like that much especially on shorter scale lengths & can show up as problems over time.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks [mention]PeterT [/mention] appreciate the insights!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Took some time today and got the Z-axis scale installed.

(Edited to correct my brain stall when I said Y-axis originally.)

Drilled and tapped the spindle yoke and made a mounting block.
d8272b0b3b244a5e1c60ccd79f1bfcef.jpg

Discovered that when I put the reader head and end cap back on the scale hit the casting on the inside when the spindle was fully retracted.
652c3a65d91c1a2a56f7273d7c3b0cad.jpg

I thought about taking the cover off and grinding back the casting but decided to add another block.
219f4cb7e34cbf76e182b957a234616e.jpg

Made some brackets to hold the reader head. Used one of the holes for the sheet metal cover to attach it to the casting.
87bad4db1c9f10056a44b6affbd686d5.jpg

All that’s left is to tidy up the cables.
I’m really pleased at how it came together.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Make sure all of your scale readers are attached with two screws and Loctite them. I attached my "Z-AXIS" reader with one screw due to a lack of bracket material and recently it has been flickering readings +-0.001". I'm fabricating a bracket and fixing that as we speak.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Make sure all of your scale readers are attached with two screws and Loctite them. I attached my "Z-AXIS" reader with one screw due to a lack of bracket material and recently it has been flickering readings +-0.001". I'm fabricating a bracket and fixing that as we speak.

Shoot some pics!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Shoot some pics!

Here you go, nothing to write home about.

Z-BRACKET.JPG

I added that bracket. The reader was originally mounted with the top screw only. Even with the bracket I register 0.0002" by pinching the scale and reader together. Flex in the scale as far as I can tell. Try that on your setup if you can.

Craig

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Craig if you get repeatable tenth of a thou accuracy from your mini mill then the debate on accuracy of a mini mill will be put to rest. I don’t think you will need to measure a fairy fart anytime soon unless you are building something aerospace we are not aware of.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Craig if you get repeatable tenth of a thou accuracy from your mini mill then the debate on accuracy of a mini mill will be put to rest. I don’t think you will need to measure a fairy fart anytime soon unless you are building something aerospace we are not aware of.

Oh I hear you on that. Just setting the axis locks causes that last digit to bounce around. The z-axis is the worst. If I had the choice I'd turn off displaying the last digit but my DRO doesn't support that option.

Craig

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ha, the more I study your y-axis scale install the more differences I spot between our machines:confused: I think I'm going to have to take a different approach.

BASE.JPG

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Definitely not as much thickness on your Y axis table.
I can measure mine if you want.

That and your base/column are different. Where are your column mounting bolts? Are the recessed? You have 4 x-axis screw cap mounting bolts, I only have two. Look at the steps in my base compared to yours.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That and your base/column are different. Where are your column mounting bolts? Are the recessed? You have 4 x-axis screw cap mounting bolts, I only have two. Look at the steps in my base compared to yours.

29500cb32b1e1ee80bc806a49bf214f0.jpg

e291305e906975cff58e0ed966962a45.jpg

3492f9d172f147cddca9817b6efce002.jpg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ya, different. Look at my saddle compared to yours. Different again, it's recessed.

SADDLE.JPG

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
How did you reattach your y-axis swarf cover after the x-axis scale was installed?