Tool Drill Chuck Repairs

Tool

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
So any idea yet why it would feel gummy ?

Turns out crap like that was everywhere inside it. Not just in the jaw cavity. The bearings and the gear shaft were full of it too. I'm virtually certain that the gummy feeling operating the chuck was the result of all that crap in it.

After I cleaned it all out, gave it an ultrasound bath, and reassembled it with lithium grease on the gear shaft and the bearings and oil in the jaw cavity, it turned smoothly and evenly just like most Albrechts do.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thought it might be worth sharing what the old jaws looked like. Hard to say exactly how this happened - maybe tightened on carbide with a strap wrench? Or an out of round drill bit going whacky....

On the back of all the Jaws and visible on the top jaw there is also damage that was probably caused by getting close to some hard metal while spinning. This damage didnt seem to affect the functionality of the chuck. But I hated looking at it.

20240218_152732.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Wish I'd taken pictures of the new jaws beside the old ones..... And make sure you zoom in on those noses..... Very interesting. But no slightest idea how.

Can't help with what happened to the jaws, but I can say with some certainty that one should NEVER put a holesaw in one. In this case it wasn't my Albrecht, but it was (is again now) a pretty good chuck just the same. :rolleyes: