Tool Drill Chuck Repairs

Tool

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I recently bought a Golden Goose 3/4in ball bearing chuck and an Albrecht 5/8 keyless chuck on Kijiji.

The golden goose came without the key - dummy me forgot to ask.

The Albrecht came with scored jaws and a gummy feel.

I orded a 5 key set on Amazon. The biggest was too small. Crap. That meant spending some serious money.....

MCMaster Carr has a huge selection. I went through them one by one looking for one with a 3/8ths pin. They had one just under that. It was PN 3169A16 at $14.31 us.

The Jaws for the Albrecht were $188us but a new chuck is $760 US. I ordered the Jaws and a set of bearing balls.

Everything shipped free from the USA AND ARRIVED THE NEXT DAY!!! WOW!

The key fit perfect! Very happy!

The jaws look to be the right size but I won't know till after I figure out how to get the chuck apart.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

I found that one first. No YouTube required. It is not clear reading it if the hood is LH or RH thread. It seems to say different things at different points in the blog. I confess the guy who wrote it doesn't exactly instill confidence.

Someplace a while back I seem to recall seeing an Albrecht technical note. Zero success finding it so far.

I do have a really nice. Brownells Action Block vise assembly that I can use to get it apart. If all else fails, I can make an epoxy collar. In my experience, that is the best possible way to get any thread apart. But first I need to ascertain if it is LH or RH.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I found that one first. No YouTube required. It is not clear reading it if the hood is LH or RH thread. It seems to say different things at different points in the blog. I confess the guy who wrote it doesn't exactly instill confidence.

Someplace a while back I seem to recall seeing an Albrecht technical note. Zero success finding it so far.

I do have a really nice. Brownells Action Block vise assembly that I can use to get it apart. If all else fails, I can make an epoxy collar. In my experience, that is the best possible way to get any thread apart. But first I need to ascertain if it is LH or RH.
Check out those YouTube videos. I know you hate them, but those two guys are quite knowledgeable.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I concluded after a minute of watching that I wasn't interested in the second video. I don't want to be his Guinea Pig. Didn't give me any confidence that he actually knew what was in there.

The first video was ok. I was a bit surprised that he was surprised at how easily the part unscrewed. Clearly he has already practiced that disassembly. Which is ok with me. The only thing I hate more than a self anointed movie star is a self annointed move star who never did what he is telling me to do. Whether he confesses or not isn't really relevant to my needs.

At any rate, I decided to look a bit more for something more official and found this PDF from Albrecht themselves. I'm gunna go with what is common to the OxTools video and the Albrecht pdf.

Now to take the chuck apart.

Attachments

• Albrecht Chuck Manual 06.07.2016.pdf
    84.2 KB · Views: 4

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have pipe wrenches from tiny to a 5ft behemoth. Also rubber, canvas, leather, and bike chain strap wrenches.

I may try those methods just for Poops N Giggles, but at the first sign of trouble, I'll switch to hardwood sleeves in a big action vise with rosin. This method has never failed me yet. If I do end up having to go that way, I'll take pictures. (Insert fingers crossed emojii here.)

Chipper5783

For a capable round squeeze I’ll often bore a nut to the target size (like yo do for your hardwood sleeve), then slit it in the band saw. The nut is easy to hold in the chuck, vise etc and there was always a generous supply in the scrap metal bin up to 3” diameter (industrial bolting). Retirement has really cramped my access to good dumpsters.

GG makes a good chuck (I think the emblem looks more like a pelican - doesn’t effect the function of the chuck )

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Well, I did the deed. It is apart without damage.

I ended up using a hybrid approach. Not quite what others have done but not everything I could have done.

The blocks are oak cut across the grain so they resist splitting. This is the barrel vise setup I used:

20240214_181758.jpg

After installing the blocks

20240214_181643.jpg

After installing a piece of roofing aluminium and a pipe wrench. Just a medium size pipe wrench. Hardly had to gronk on it at all.

20240214_181554.jpg

If the pipe wrench had failed, I would have made more blocks and used an action wrench that works exactly the same as the barrel vise. But it wasn't necessary.

20240214_181920.jpg

Only cleaning, repair, and lubrication left to do now.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hard to tell but wood dust & oil & cementation time can make muck like that. You can find pictorials of metal lathes with trashed gearboxes (broken teeth & bent shafts) when Mr. Stair Spindle Maker has been using the machine over extended time. If the pudding is non-magnetic it could be the brown stuff. I love the brown stuff, just not on my oiled metal machines.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Bet you would have been pissed it was spotless and lightly oiled, like it probably is now.

Well, you do know how to put a positive spin on things don't you!

Not yet. Tomorrow maybe. At my age, taking it apart wore me out. Now I need to sleep for a few days so I can stay standing again long enough to oil and grease it....... :rolleyes:

Bandit

Super User
Anyone had a News drill chuck apart? So far not found anything about them. Tried google, but that lead to every news feed in the world, CBC, BBC, etc. and so on.
1/2 inch unit, #2 morse taper shank, no tang on shank, appears to have cap on end. Don't want to mess up that trying to figger out if it is a cap, is it threaded, fiction fit, do I even need to remove it? Tried to turn it, both ways, no luck. (I know more force, BIGer hammer), ( whoops, pipe wrench).

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
All done! Here she is with shiny new jaws and 25 new bearing balls!

20240216_144910.jpg

The old ones looked discoloured and rusty so I was glad I ordered new ones. Runout is about a thou on a 3/8 endmill shaft at the Jaws. I seem to recall reading someplace that shafts should bottom in an Albrecht so that might be a factor too. Also, the hood is polished where the Jaws were.

Might get better or worse with time but I'm not gunna complain about 1 thou on a 5/8 chuck.

It feels like a brand new chuck. I'm very happy.

Just need to decide if I put an R8 arbour on it for the mill or an MT3 for the lathe. Nice to have choices.