• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Do you have a mill and what kind is it?

What type of mill do you have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This thread is a poll to determine the range of mills that our members have. If the poll questions are not adequate, please provide additional comments below.

I still own my bench top round column mill drill and my drill press with x/y table so it's in my list.

"and how big is it?"..... Where do you enter that info?

Sorry, that should say what kind is it...... I'll fix it if I can.

Edit - Fixed

Last edited:
Jet 15 round column mill, and a 1913 Kearney and Trecker 1a horizontal mill with Van Norman high speed vertical head.

Interesting results. On mills the majority - 80% - have a pretty big square column or a knee mill. On the lathe front it's really evenly split. Why is that?

My mill is a Kent ex-cnc knee mill. Its has an 1:1 belt drive EVS head, 0-6000 rpm, ballscrews, DRO.

I have the servos/mounts for x/y and hope to convert it back to a 3 axis cnc again.....someday..

OK. I've checked off the boxes. But some explanation I think maybe?
Drill press is really more like a Mill Press in that I had a hole drilled through the spindle so I can run a draw bar to the MT3 tooling. The quill can also be clamped to lock the Z direction. Much of the Gingery Lathe project was milled with this.
Round Column mill is the Unimat DB200 with the head stock mounted on the shaft in place of the head stock. Makes for tiny drill press or mill.
Knee mill is equivalent to Grizzly G3616 bought new from House of Tools.
CNC is Knee mill originally with stepper and DC servos now with all AC servos including the spindle and an AC Servo driven (Harmonic Drive) 4th axis.. Originally ran just the knee with ELS to stepper motor. After that either MACH3 or LinuxCNC, now only LinuxCNC.

Edit: CNC Mill conversion also has Shumatech DRO-350 with caliper type scales.

Last edited:
Grizzly X3 (G0463) converted to CNC
2X Sherline CNC mills
Manual Emco Compact 5 milling machine
Floor model radial drill press

Back